What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this mystery Bud?

Can some one please help me identify this bud/seed/thing
10490285-0fe8-028001E0-.jpg

Thanks, all help appreciated

If you squint your eyes it looks like Uranus... j/k. I have no earthly idea... lol

Hi VenusAshTrap

What type of soil is that? Your "bud" looks like a type of slow release fertilizer found in some potting soils...little round balls. But its hard to tell from your pic. Do these roll around loose if you touch them or are they fixed in place with roots? If they are loose, its probably fertilizer.

IF you are using commercial potting soil, you need to switch to the recommended soil mixes for VFTs. Especially if those "buds" are fertilizer pellets. Fertilizer will kill your plant.

Your pic does look rather "celestial".
smile.gif

Suzanne

Probably just some small plant life that grows from sphagnum/peat. I've had theese weed things and flat, shiny, two leaved things grow from sphagnum moss. I wouldn't really worry too much about it.

I agree with plantakiss. It looks like a pellet of ozmocote fertiliser. It may not neccesarily been in the vft pot originaly, it could have got there via another plant. If its not fertiliser, then my second guess would be some kind of egg. Its not a seed, its far to spherical and smooth. I would remove it and destroy it to be on the safe side. Its not going to cause your plant any harm then.

I took it out, It has 1 root from the bottom, its like a teardrop but with a long 'tail' to it. I'll get a pic

You know what, it almost looks like a living stone
wow.gif
!

Whats a living stone and does anyone have a pic of one?

PlantsLikeBugs..."Living Stones" is another name for lithops...a type of succulent. They look like rocks. Exotic Gardens used to sell them. They can be very pretty arranged in a pot and there are many color variations.

If you want more info you could do a web search for lithops or ask Jaie about them.

Suzanne

It looks just like a young one. I remember cutting one in half( I couldn't help myself, I had to see what was inside) and took one half with roots and potted it. Two plantlets came up from the base, but died soon after.

here is one of my pots of lithops

Im002773.jpg

I think their cool

Back