What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hope fully just a little problem

Do you think it will matter that i potted my new flytrap in bagged peat moss? I have just found out that it is better to pot flytraps in imported peat moss-but i potted mine in brunnings peat moss-australian peat moss! Do you think this will harm my plant?! And are there wetting agents or anything in this bagged peat that could hurt it-oh i'm really worried about it!
Also the pot i got for it has just one big hole at it's base-do you think sitting the pot on two plastic knives in a 2cm deep dish will provide enough room for the water to be soaked up by the soil near the hole? Somewhere i read it is best to water the plant from the top and let the water drain into the dish-i think i'm gonna do this just to make sure it is getting water as it's really HOT here at the moment. Jeez i wish it was easier to obtain imported peat moss here in australia but it's near impossible-especially if you are a boarder like me and restricted to one shopping centre.

I'm letting my flytrap get 4rs of sun a day cause the temps are getting up to 30 degrees celcius here and any longer would kill the plant.

Hey Mondo, All i know is I have been using Scott's brand peat moss, sphagnum moss, orchid bark and perlite with no problems...

that 4 hours is direct afternoon sunlight right? well, I think you should be OK... you probably would have noticed detrimenal effects already... so I think your OK, on both sun and soil...

have fun, enjoy you plant!

If you have done something wrong...it usually takes about a week to show signs.
We have tested potting plants in various mixes.  Now ( from experience) we only use peat moss that specifically says Sphagnum Peat Moss ( which would be Schultz brand ).
We have always lost a little growth when transplanted...but you know it is dead when all the growth is gone. =/

Well if it doesn't seem to by dying or anything after a week then i will leave it and re pot it in two years into a more airy substrate.
Is there a difference between demineralised water and distilled water,i know it sounds dumb, but is distilled water obtained by condensation,in which only pure water can turn to steam or is demineralised water obtained through filters which replace the salts with other salts?Anyone know?

nope, not the same, not as good, a salt is a salt, is a salt, and salt kills CP's. Distilled, RO, Rain, De-Ionized, those are your choices if you want to be absolutely safe... as we learned from Martin recently, Brita and PUR water filters only replace salts with other salts as well, and that's not good.

On the bottle it says it's been de ionised so thats a relief....

Back