What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my flytraps!!

Just got 1 Southwest giant (a little shop of horrors clone) and an Akai Ryu.
The southwest giant lives up to its name - IT IS HUGE !!!

I've decided that my house was too cold for previous attempts (about 17C - big house + UK weather!) - so I've got a light and tank setup. The terrarium is a 5 Gallon tank, and at present I'm using a 15watt bulb errr...it's not a house bulb cos its a weird shape. I'm thinking of adding a cool blue flourescent later. Temp wise - 22C(72F) and humidity at 60 - 70 %. Should I use a heat mat when I want to mimic full summer (the house wont alter that much!!)??
I'd post a picture, but I haven't got a website
sad.gif

The plants are starting to open out already (they've only been in it for 1 day). I've covered the tank with tin foil around both sides and back. Any thoughts people? A window ledge is impracticle since I've tried growing two before and they both seemed to go into dormancy permamently!! (Something to do with the UK rain and poor window/sun exposure!)

hey james...

sounds like so far youve got it covered...

terrarium, lighting, even the tin foil wrapping...

i use a heat mat under my terrarium and its producing great results. but if you are gopiong to grow other plants in there, you may need to provide a glass cover to the terrarium to keep humidity in.

im sure youll get plenty of good advice from this forum, theyve taught me alot.

you said you just got a southwest giant...ive never heard of that..what is it? where did you get it?

Sure you can post a picture! Just put it in an e-mail as an attachement and send to Phlitrapguy and he'll put it up for you. Just tell him which topic to put it in. Send it to pcrane@petflytrap.com

hey, you can upload your own pictures here: <a href="http://www.vi2.com/maxForumFiles/

and" target="_blank">http://www.vi2.com/maxForumFiles/

and</a> click on brose and itll show your comp C: and all your other stuff. simply pick out the picture and press OK and give it a name at the botom and upload file. then wait like 10 seconds and it gives you a web page. www.vi2.com/YOURPICTURE.jpg and you copy/paste and come to here and post it by using (img)http://****(/img)

but switch the ( ) with [ ] and the **** with the web page.

hope it works and would love to see your plant. Bye

-stefano

Chris - the South West Giant was bought from littleshopofhorrors.co.uk...
Yeah I already have a hood on the terrarium.

JamesEMT,
If you growing the vft in a terrarium you should buy a timer to switch on/off the light automatically. Vft's should receive around 8-10hours of artificial light in the winter, 12hours of light in the spring and 14-16hours of light in the summer.

I didn't know Little Shop of Horrors sold SW Giants. I sent them a couple of e-mails a while back asking what they had but I never got a reply.
I'm going to buy one (amongst other things) from Triffid in a couple of months.

I don't think the plants are labelled as South West Giants - I think they are labelled XL Clone??
I was real surprised by their response - had the plants four days after placing the order!!

Back