What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Pollen

R

rabangus

Hi,

Does anyone know how long VFT pollen is viable for? I am hoping to produce a few crosses this year, including red x cup trap and red x fused tooth. Not having that many plants, i probably won't get them flowering quite together, so i wonder how long the pollen is viable for if i refridgerate it?

Rowan

rabangus:

I'm not sure bout the length of time that pollen is good for, however, I do know... that by crossing plants, you're going to end up with a common, basic flytrap
sad.gif

I'm not sure about 100% of the time, but GENERALLY speaking, mutations and cultivars are only pass on through division or tissue culture... the seed of any flytrap produces just a basic flytrap.

Somone correct me if I'm wrong... but I've never known a hybrid/cultivar to make seed of the mother plant.

How about the all-red dentate, which was produced by crossing all red plants with dentate plants, and then crossing the offsrping?

Rowan

As I understand it (but I might be totally wrong), don't the offspring still have a percentage of the characteristics of the parent? Whilst a Red Dragon offspring will be mostly green, won't it still be noticably more red than a normal VFT?

rabangus has a very good point. Let's use the simple Mendelian genetics model, and let's say for the sake of argument (and this may in fact be true) that both the dentate and all-red traits are each controlled by a single, recessive gene. We'll call the dentate allele 'd', with 'D' meaning normal-length cilia, and the all-red allele 'r', with 'R', of course, meaning normal coloration. A plant with normal coloration, including a dentate traps VFT, is likely to have the genotype 'RR', as the mutant all-red allele is unlikely to be present at all, and likewise a plant with normal cilia length, including an all-red VFT, is likely to have the genotype 'DD'. If we cross our hypothetical model dentate traps VFT (homozygous recessive for cilia length, 'dd', and likely homozygous dominant for coloration, 'RR') with the all-red VFT (homozygous recessive for coloration, 'rr', and likely homozygous dominant for cilia length, 'DD'), here is what we would expect to see in the offspring:

R   R
   -------
r | Rr  Rr
  |             = 100% heterozygous, normal coloration
r | Rr  Rr

d   d
    -------
D | Dd  Dd
   |            = 100% heterozygous, normal cilia length
D | Dd  Dd

All offspring are heterozygous for both traits. Thus, even though every plant carries one of the recessive mutant alleles, that allele is masked by the domant, normal allele, and the result is that every plant looks normal in both respects. And so, as Phil asserted, you would most likely get all normal-looking VFTs. However, if we cross two of these offspring of this F2 generation, here are the expected results:

R   r
    -------
R | RR  Rr
   |            = 25% homozygous recessive ('rr', all-red)
r  | Rr  rr

D   d
    -------
D | DD  Dd
   |            = 25% homozygous recessive ('dd', short cilia)
d | Dd  dd

As you can see, 1/4 of all offspring of this cross will have either all-red coloration or dentate traps, and therefore 1/16 of all offspring will be BOTH all-red AND have dentate traps. If you grow enough seed of this F2 hybrid cross, you will certainly be able to obtain the desired all-red dentate VFT. Hooray for science!
smile.gif

Can you tell I'm taking Genetics? lol

(Edited by havron at 5:11 pm on April 19, 2002)

o_O
~

I understood.

I think i should have had a better mark in biology than 67%...

(Edited by Parasuco at 1
wow.gif
1 pm on April 20, 2002)

Back