What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got my first vft

Hey I just got my first vft and I was wondering when I should move it to a bigger pot. And I understand that I should use a mixed soil, like peat and something else. Any help is greatly appreciated!
biggrin.gif
Thank you!!!

You dont ever need to move it to a bigger pot if the pot is at least 3" by 3". If you ordered it from petflytrap the pot it came in is fine. By getting a bigger pot, when you dont need it, the roots will have to expand for it to get water and wear out the plant. You can buy spagnum peat moss from menards or home depo. Do not feed it to much and be careful.

First, Congratulations on the new venus flytrap(v-trap), and welcome to the wonderful world of bug-eating plants.
    Second,</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey I just got my first vft and I was wondering when I should move it to a bigger pot.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>You should propably transplant your v-trap once about every two years, and it should be done in the winter. I myself don't think you need a bigger pot, you just take it out and put fresh moss in and put it back in its original pot. Anyone can beg to differ if this is not right.  This is done then because the plant will be in dormancy wich I'll tell you about in just a minute.
    Third,</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And I understand that I should use a mixed soil, like peat and something else.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>Your soil can range.  Some like me use pure peat/sphnum moss, some use one part sand to one part peat moss, etc.  Others can tell you what they use.
    I think I answered your questions.  If anyone has anything to add to that feel free to.  Have happy plant days!
wink.gif

Wes

Thanx for the tips and info guys, I needed it! I'll keep posted on how everything's going with my vft.
biggrin.gif

You are very welcome.
biggrin.gif
I'm glad I and others could help.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi Deana

Welcome to the forums! And congrats on your new VFT.
smile.gif
There is lots of help available here.

As others have said, its fine to leave your VFT in its pot. There are many acceptable soil mixes...usually an equal mix of peat moss and sand. But you can also add some perlite...and some use long fibered spaghnum moss. The key is nutrient poor soil. They like bright light/full sun (as long as it doesn't get toooo hot). Make sure you water with pure water ONLY (distilled water or rain water). Keep the pot in a saucer of about 1/2" pure water at all times. Don't let it dry out. Being spring, it may produce a flower stalk but most people cut them off (as it takes a lot of plant energy to bloom). If you leave it outside it will take care of feeding itself. If you hand feed, make sure the bug is 2/3 to 1/2 the size of the trap as you don't want any bug parts sticking outside of the trap. Hard shelled bugs aren't desirable. Mine are outside and they pig out on flies with a few spiders and mosquitos too. Don't get worried if the trap turns black...they will wear out after a few feedings and you can snip it off. More traps will grow to replace the dead ones.

Any more questions, just ask!

Good luck and happy growing!

Suzanne

Congrats. I think all has been said that needs to be said, so I won't repeat everyone.

Hey congrads on the new vft!!!
as far as your soil question goes a CP will pretty much grow in anything, I got a Derosa to grow in cotton balls in a peanut butter jar!!!

Back