What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing Traps

I woke up this morning and looked at my S.W.Giant on my windowsill. There was one new trap which had just opened up. There was more sun at one end of the house, so i moved the aqarium (carefully) to a sunny windowsill. After breakfast i went to look at them again. The very same trap that had just opened had closed! The aquarium has a lid, so NO flys or insects could have triggered the traps. The only thing which i can think of is that it was triggered when i carried it to the sunny windowsill. But i was carefull, surely the traps are not incredibly sensitive ? This has never happened to my normal Vft which i move regulary to the sunniest position in my house.

That happened to me today!!!!
I came home and my SW Giant had two traps which had partially closed. I don't know why. Weird. :eek:

This is getting wierd. Anyone else has this happening to their S.W.Giant or know WHY??

Hi Guys,
It is possible to trigger off a flytap without touching the trigger hairs themselves. Even a sudden change in temperature has been known to cause this.

You can try tapping with your finger the outside of a trap and watch it close...

Back