What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ravenous dente

I received my VFTs a week ago. They are outdoors in the original nursery pots and set in a shallow pan with one inch of water and they all seem equally healthy. I do not feed them.
The Dente caught a fruit fly night before last and another trap was successful last night. This was confirmed (unmistakeble outline of the small fly) by back lighting the traps with a very bright pen light. At this rate it on schedule to capture eight flys a month. The Green Dragon and Common haven’t caught a thing. My questions are;
-Does the Dente have a more powerful attracterant smell or is it just more aggressive?
-Is it possible for it to over eat?
I would hate to see it begin to look like my girlfriends butter ball poodle…or worse yet …die.
confused.gif

I think the green dragon and the typical are not eating to save room for the butterball poodle and waiting for it to make the mistake of getting too close.
tounge.gif

My dente is less effective at catching bugs than my typical or green dragon. Are yours the same size or is the dente bigger than the others.
Do you have them in the same location?

Hi Ronnie, They set right next to each other and are roughly the same size.
I should be so lucky for one of them to eat that (&(^)(*&^ poodle.

Ronnie???

I guess you're talking about the signature. Ronnie Van Zant was the singer for Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the signature is from a song by them. You should know that since you live in Florida.

I have no idea why the dente is such a pig.
If the vft's won't eat the dog I have some plants that will.
biggrin.gif

Oops...too many Manhattans...sorry bout that.  
tounge.gif

A third trap on my Dente was sprung last night.  I AM NOT feeding it.  Using my pen light I determined it ate something other than a fruit fly this time...something kind of small... but at the rate of one capture a night this thing is going to either die or become very dangerous.
Is it possible, or normal, for a VFT to over eat?
I really am concerned.
confused.gif

Jan,
I wouldn't panic. I had my VFT's outside all last summer, and they ate like absolute PIGS. They were none the worse for ware, the traps just didn't last quite as long. On the other hand, they grew out new traps quite rapidly.

My opinion: People are warned against over-feeding because they tend to just grab any bug, and not making sure it's small enough, thus over stuffing the trap. This can kill the trap for sure (if the leaf can't seal, fungus can get in). Also, traps can only spring 4 or 5 times before they run out of gas. At this point, if they haven't died yet, they just behave like a normal leaf on any other plant...photosynathsis only.

You don't have to worry about your VFT getting fat. They don't have to worry about cholesterol like we do!
biggrin.gif

and as for why the dente is eating more... probably just dumb luck.

Maybe you have very picky bugs, They don't want to be trap by just a typical they prefer more expensive plants like a dente. Just think what would happen if you got a Dingey's Giant or the Bart Simpson.
biggrin.gif

Back