What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting Question

Recently, small areas of my plants have been turning black. I didn't really bother to do much with it because it didn't look too bad but now I'm a little concerned. I know that when a leaf/trap is turing black you shouldn't cut it until the trap has turned black as well, however, my trap is black while the leaf is still fine. Just cut off the trap? The whole thing? Leave it alone? :confused::confused::confused:

Just cut the trap off at the little spendily thing that conects it to the petole. If the leaf starts to slowly turn black leave it alone and let it wilt away.

Black leaves can be ignored as they are in the wild.

However, I have a few questions....

Is your plant producing new leaves as fast or faster than the old ones are dying off?

Did your plant have dormancy?

Are the leaves that are dying off last years?

Oh, and you are giving it enough of the right water and light, correct?

If you answered no to any of these questions there may be a farther problem. Let us know and we'll see what we can do
smile.gif

Noah

cut off the black that is the rule leave the green

I just got the VFTs from PFT about 1 1/2 months ago and I know I'm giving them the correct amount of water. I'm pretty sure light is OK so I think I'm just gonna snip the traps off at the connection between the trap and the leaf.

I would leave the leaf on, until about two thirds are black... After that, cut it off, just like a leaf cutting. Cut the black pard of the leaf off, and use the bottom half (green, turning into white at the bottom), and use that as a leaf cutting... If it works, awsum, if not, who cares, it was just a dying leaf!

Back