What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous plants...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kswitzer

It was brought to my attention today, mainly because I never really thought of it this way, that vegetarians must really hate Venus Fly Traps because they go against what the vegetarian believes: don't eat meat.

Just curious.. are there any vegetarians out there? What are your ideas on meat-eating plants?

I have played with the 'veggie thing' but couldb't stick to it b/c of work.

Anyway, I think the better question to ask is about the killing on any living thing.

Many people cannot find it in their heart to harm another living creature. Ant, slug, person, Laker Fan....

Remember that there is an alternative to feeding your CP's. They do not have to eat a bug to live. And many have had great success with Fertilizers ( Miracid...it is an Orchid Fertilizer. You don't fertilize the roots, but the leaves)
Also, people have used: eggwhite, superthrive, tea, eggshells, pine needles

Some things are more so used for adding acidicty to the soil....while others are used to supplement food for the plant.

If the plant 'eats' it will grow bigger, faster....but if it doesn't 'eat' it will still grow, just not as fast
confused.gif

I'm a vegetarian... I have a VFT... My opinion is - "that's the food chain!"  I have no problem with animals eating animals, or .. plants eating animals for that matter!, because that is how they survive, that is how they were made.  For example - you can't feed a cat only vegetables and expect it to be healthy.  The cat's digestive system was made to tolerate raw meats n stuff.

I'm a human, I have a choice as to whether or not I should eat meat, and I choose not to, as I can survive without it and am able to get plenty of protein and irons n stuff elsewhere.

Hm, this doesn't seem like a post fit for the VFT care information & tips!  
tounge.gif

Ya know Jaimeanne I think you're right
smile.gif

Normally something this simple I'd let slide but it might be fun to see other peoples opinions on the subject so I'll move it to general discussions.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back