What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the traps old?

howdy folks...

I was realizing this weekend that some of my traps appear to have the slightest blacknes to them. I am noticing it on the outer perimeter of the mouth, and the teeth themselves. But it isn't happening to all the traps. Does this mean that the traps are getting old? I also noticed that my traps must be eating bugs too bug for their mouths, because I am noticing marks forming from the mouth buldging! Almost like stretch marks!!! Has anyone ever seem this before?

All of that means you have an insect infestation.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

REALLY?
I looked over my plants thoroughly this weekend, clipped all the black traps, and there was no sign of bugs/insects/creatures of any sort. I thought it might have been from too much sun or just getting old. Are you sure?

There may not be bugs if you think there is dunk the plant over night in water but my guess is that its just an old trap they get kinda wrinkled when they are about to die.

If that is the case (which I really hope it is) do I clip them? or just let them be? There is this one trap that had a very large bug inside, its legs are hanging out!!! a black spot is coming through the trap now...
confused.gif

Squirrels... NYC squirrels are unbelievable! they come up to my windows and look me dead in the eye! They have such attitude. This one visits me regularly and hooks his claws into my window screen. He recently discovered my traps, and he enjoys sitting on his hind legs and batting the traps around as though he was boxing! Any suggestions to keep him away?

Megan,
Two words: air rifle.

Well, b.b guns are good too, but they take a couple of uses to discourage determined squirls.
mad.gif

wow.gif
NYC squirrels are horrible!...they destroyed two of my flytraps...can u put it somewhere where the squirrel can't reach?? after the accident i put my flytraps on my 2nd story windowsill outside so it's like theyre outside, but unreachable.

i would say to keep the leaf on it, and either let it dry/rot off or cut it off after it turns black...unless it starts rotting really bad and smells or something but i doubt that...

Thanx guys. Yeah, NYC squirrels are awful!!! I live on the fourth floor of my building, those suckers can climb anything!!! When I saw him out there with my VFT, I started knocking on the window, but all I got was a dirty look!!!
mad.gif

Back