What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Atlanta winters

Now that I have saved by VFT by giving it fresh, bone-meal-free potting mixture, I have to start thinking about over-wintering.

I have left all my other carnivourous plants out all winter before with no problems, but I have never had a VFT before.

Is anyone from Atlanta or nearby, and does anyone have experience with this?  I checked, and our average winters temps and low are only 2 F lower than Wilmington, NC, the VFT's native area. It doesn't seem like much, but I know averages can be deceiving.  

I live in a lfot and all I have for temperature options are the balcony (which actually tends to be a few-degrees warmer than outside temperature because it's sheltered), inside (74 F), or the fridge. I'd like to keep them outside and put them in the fridge only if it's going to be below freezing - which is almost always only at night and never lasts more than a day or two. Would this work, or would the fridge harm them?

Call me old-fashioned, but I think there's a value in letter them over-winter naturally outside. I hope I'm right.

Thanks.

Yes,in atlanta you would be able to over winter them outside. I would pick the sheltered area.

Greetings Terminus,

Where in Atlanta are you just out of curiosity?

I am in Stone Mtn now and last year I kept my VFTs outside with no ill effects. If you have been growing them outside all year then they should do fine for you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ Sep. 17 2003,8:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Greetings Terminus,

Where in Atlanta are you just out of curiosity?

I am in Stone Mtn now and last year I kept my VFTs outside with no ill effects. If you have been growing them outside all year then they should do fine for you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yeah! I can keep them outside.

I live in Downtown, near Centennial Park.

Back