What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two traps trapped water

I was trying to water from the top to increase humidity because todays day time humidity will be dropping below 40 for a few hours. I accidently watered the plant and the two traps closed on it and its been 10 minutes and its not opening up. How do these things survive in the wild? rain must close up all the traps.

Should I force out the water?

It takes them a while to open... maybe a few hours or longer (longer I think). They will reopen though, be patient.

Depending on the health of your plant the traps should reopen within 24 hrs. I have found that humidity is not that big of an issue with vft`s. Plenty of sunlight and distilled water should do it. I have 12 vft`s on a sunny windowsill that are doing great! Good Luck, John

Cool, it opened when I got home. BTW, what is a window sill? I keep mines in the back of a window..its in the inside ledge. Theres only 3 1/3 inches of space.

Hi SativaKing

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

If you top water your plant, you can pour the water right onto the soil as opposed to watering all over the plant. That will lessen the chance of accidental trap closings. And yes, rain can trigger the traps but that happens in nature as well...and as you've seen they will reopen. Don't worry too much about humidity...if the soil is kept wet and the pot is in a saucer of water, that should be enough unless you live in an extremely arid area (like Arizona).

A windowsill is the little ledge that sticks out at the bottom of a window...where many people place plants for sun.

suzanne

just a small question....

how can i measure the siol's humidity, or the humidity around my VFT's??

DreyZ
(melbourne, Australia)

Howdy again DreyZ, doing the rounds as I am on a break at work :cool: I have an analogue humidity meter which cost me about £2.50 (Aus&#366.50), it is not as precise as a good digital one; about £15.00 (Aus&#3640.00), but the analogue one meets my needs
smile.gif
Oh and I got it in a bog standard DIY store.

(Edited by Oli G at 7:30 am on May 21, 2002)

Rain tends to fall at an angle and the traps use the teeth and opposite lobe as a way of protecting the triggers. The chances of a drop falling in exactly the same spot within 20 seconds are also low in lighter rain.

what up,
When water got into my vft's some of them closed and
were shriveled by the next day. can someone tell me why this is.
thanx a bunch

Da Man

If your traps are shriveled, I doubt it had anything to do with the water. What kind of water was it? Tap water is a no-no but still shouldn't shrivel a trap. Its possible it was just the traps time to die. They don't last forever...they die off after several feedings and grow new ones to replace the old.

Water (rain or poured) can trigger a trap to close if it hits the triggers hairs just right but it should open in a day or so.

Suzanne

I appreciate the info Planta kiss
I think it was because of tap water.
I am new and didn't know. I will discontinue
the use of tap water

Back