What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackening leaves

Ok, the plant I got on Monday is having problems on two of its traps that arrived closed.

First, here is a picture that I'm used to when a leaf dies.  It is noticeably brown.
deadgood.jpg

Now, here are the two leaves of the new plant.
deaddirt.jpg

deadup.jpg

Now, is this a problem?  I'm a little concerned with possibly infecting my good plants.  Right now I'm under the assumption that they were just old leaves, but if they were old, why did they arrive closed?  Usually my old leaves don't close.  Or is it just how Dingley Giant leaves die?  Stress from shipping?  Disease?  Caught something it doesn't like?

i have a question , when flytrap leaves die , why do they turn black , when pitcher plants die there leaves turn brown , and other dead plants turn brown as well but i don't understan why its happens to flytraps , just curious
tounge.gif

Goldtrap,
I am not sure what the exact reason is for traps turning black, I assume it has something to do with the chemical reaction inside the leaf cells. Perhaps one of our horticulture schollars can better explain that process.

Jhaluska,
That pic looks fine to me. I wouldnt worry about it at all. Just clip off the black parts, as the leaf continues to turn black snip that off too. Leave the green parts of the dying leaf alone, they will continue to photosynthesize as long as they remain green. when its all the way black, snip it off at the base to prevent fungal infections.

Good luck with your plants
Steve

btw.. Nice looking plant you have there.. I love the colors
smile.gif

Steve

Ok, my hypothesis:

The same cells/chemicals that make the inside of the trap Red, are the same ones that make the trap go Black while it dies.

I'm pretty confident they are older leaves now, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for the reassurance guys!

Ok, mine's are turning black too! And they're young! Do I cut off the black part as you said? Will it grow back after I cut it?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
I want my little guy to grow big ~n~ healthy
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (not_wanting2go @ Sep. 02 2003,1:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok, mine's are turning black too! And they're young! Do I cut off the black part as you said? Will it grow back after I cut it?  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Not_Wanting2go.. Welcome to the forums

Yes, clip off the black traps/ leaves. They will be replaced by new leaves emerging from the center of the plant.

Good luck
Steve

Back