What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My fly trap is a freak

I have kept my fly trap outside all summer and it got lots of rain and bugs and sun, and kept it in a tray of water. It was doing well, or so I thought. Two weeks ago I saw a green v sticking in the moss near the base, I moved the moss and a trap was under it. The trap was white with pink spots, and last week there were two new traps on it, one had a bulbous green lump where three of the teeth should have been, and the the other was square shaped and half the size of a regular trap on it with another "trap-like" lump uner it. What did I do to it? It has three new traps growing on it that look normal (in addition to several older traps) Was this just a random glitch or did I somehow Quasimodo my VFT?

Ok, my theory is that you have a split personality and at night you're doing genetic experiments on VFTs without your daytime's self's awareness.
wink.gif

Or...it could just be a mutation.

White with pink spots? Square?
wow.gif
I call first dibs on the "Square Pink Spotty."

My guess is that it will green up with some light. I've found stuff growing under or out of the moss before: VFTs, butterworts, sundews, and cobra lilies (which I am having no luck with here in FL).
sad.gif
I guess I could use the refrigerator.

I've never found anything that weird before.

Back