What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daddy long legs

• Thread starter steveo
  • Start date
Hmmm--a tangle of legs sticking out of my biggest plant's biggest trap. The attractant in these VFTs must be pheromonal or something.

The longlegs is pretty dead--no movement. Is there a way to save the trap, or do I just let it go? It's this trap's third closure and second capture, so it may be done anyway, but if just yanking the legs out will allow it to retire gracefully I'll yank 'em out.

Steve

Hi Steveo

I don't really know about yanking the legs off. I remember reading about the legs waving around. And lo and behold I go out yesterday and find one my traps in the same situation. At first I thought it was one of those Boeing 747 mosquitos...then I remembered the granddaddy longlegs in your post. So I don't know what is in mine. (I did see a longlegs on one of my flower pots only a few days earliet). Sadly...one leg was feebly waving around (yesterday). Today all is quiet. I can't help but feel sorry for the little thing...wish death came a little faster.

But now I have the same tangle of long legs sticking out of my trap like yours. I guess I'm just going to leave it alone. No one would be yanking legs off in their native habitat.

I guess we both get to see what it caught in a few days.
smile.gif

Suzanne

pull the legs right off! the enzymes will prbably already eaten away at most of the parts that conect them, so they should come of pretty easily and slip right through the trap w/o letting anything in!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from PlantAKiss on 12:28 am on May 28, 2002
Hi Steveo

Sadly...one leg was feebly waving around (yesterday).  Today all is quiet.  I can't help but feel sorry for the little thing...wish death came a little faster.

I guess we both get to see what it caught in a few days.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hey Suzanne--

Yeah--I will not feed these things. They can catch as catch can!

In that spirit, I expect I should leave them alone.

Steve

Back