What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new VFT, not sure which one.

Tonight I went to Home Depot to get some things for the home and decided to check out the CP. I was looking to get a nepenthes hybrid which I have seen big ones many times before or D. adelae if they had good looking ones (never any yet for the past few years), but they didn't have gubler's CP. Instead they had some from "bloom-rite" VFT that I bought one of a few weeks ago from OSH (it now has traps 1.25" ).

Well anyway, the VFT here at home depot were not typical but one of the cultivors. I know it's something in the direction of Dente, Dentata, Dentate etc... Only problem is that I don't know the difference between them.

Question: Does anybody have pictures or know a site that has pictures comparing these varieties? Or help ID the plant photo shown below.

Photo of plant. Sorry for poor quality, I will take a better one in the morning.
There are 2 plants in the pot. The smaller on looks more like a typical, but I was told that small traps usually look like typical for dente.
DENT.jpg

I haven't really been a VFT person until this year. Thanks! Joe
smile.gif

(Edited by Statik2426 at 10:14 pm on May 18, 2002)

I bought some home depot ones that are from gublers and they look nowhere as good as yours. What kind of plant are from the gublers?

I bought some home depot ones that are from gublers and they look nowhere as good as yours. What kind of plant are from the gublers?

I notice that Gubler's VFT are always tiny, thats why I never buy them. But the Cobra's and unknown Nepenthes hybrid I have seen are occasionally very big, making the cup come off of the pot. About 2 years ago I saw one of the nepenthes that had 2" pitchers, i'm angry at myself for not getting it. I've been checking Home Depot once in a while but no luck. I guess I have to wait till summer, thats when I usually see there bigger plants for some reason.

Hi Static, the variety you have is registered with the ICPS as "Dentate Traps" but is more commonly known as Dente or Dentate, Dentata is usualy synonymous with the registered variety "Sawtooth" which has a much more finely divided trap margin than your plant.

Na-na, I have a Gubler's Nep, and Na-na, It has a three inch pitcher that just opened yesterday, and Na-na, it has a thick perisotom, and Na-na, its a dusty red colour, and Na-na its not in a terrarium!!!

tounge.gif
:p:p

Thanks Greencrunch!

"Na-na, I have a Gubler's Nep, and Na-na, It has a three inch pitcher that just opened yesterday"
Parasuco, So what? You said your Gubler plant looks like trashcan's N. Ventrata, and I have N. Ventrata with 6" pitchers... SO BEAT THAT!
smile.gif

"it has a thick perisotom"
It's spelled 'peristome'...

"its a dusty red colour"
Are you sure your plant isn't just collecting dust from growing so slowly and it has sunburn?

"its not in a terrarium!!!"
Why does it matter that it isn't in terrarium? Are you bragging that you aren't giving it high humidity and you have to water more often as well? j/k

And another thing, I can order plants from this site and you can't because your from Canada! Hahaha!...

I'm just kidding about all this but i'm not sure if you're doing the same.
sad.gif

Joe

I hope the small size from the gublers is just a temporary thing. Because that thing came really tiny. It has grown a lot since I got it though. but for some reason the leaves are really thin.

green crunch, i have to somewhat disagree with you on the saw tooth, but you still may be correct. It looks more like the variety of shark tooth. Most saw tooth ive seen were alot more shaggy that those are.

That, my friend, is most definitely,probably, possibly, maybe a dente. Hope I helped...
wink.gif

Back