What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to venus flytraps

L

Lumpy

I have a FT that I purchased about a month ago. This is my second one, and although I've read they are relatively easy to care for, for the life of me I don't seem to have much luck with them.

The one I currently have is in my bedroom under an Ott lamp. I've had it outside, sitting in an inch of rain water, and inside in a sunny location also in water. It isn't getting any bigger, when the leaves grow they brown and die and the little developing traps die, and it sure seems to me that the soil/peat is just soaked when it sits in water.

What am I doing wrong?
wow.gif

First off, <span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!</span></span>

Second, it's overwatered. Just cut down on the watering a little, like, try keeping a centimeter of water in the tray instead of an inch. It should be okay after a while if your lucky. Keep the soil more on the "very moist" side and less on the "soaked and spongy" side. I hope your VFT survives! Keep us posted on what happens!

Good luck!
FTG

Thanks! I removed the water today. I'll let it dry out a little, and then follow your suggestion. I think there's hope for it yet!
confused.gif

Good Lumpy! ***pats head*** Just don't let it *really* dry out. Let it dry until it is moist, but nowhere near actually DRY! Never let it dry out! Just let it dry somewhat, just until it's not soggy anymore, then just provide it with a constant centimeter of water and pray!

Good luck!
           FTG

Back