What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytrap plantlet from trap cutting

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
About two months ago I broke the trap off of a small common venus flytrap. Since the trap had just opened, I got the idea that maybe I could keep it alive by placing it in my small terrarium I had just planted and wait. Well, to my surprise, the trap didn't turn black and die, but it remained green. I took it out of the medium a few times to see if anything was happening with no results. Well, today I took another look and the trap was still green. I pulled it from the medium with a bit of resistance. To my surprise, there is a 1/4 inch long root with a small bud forming.

I will try to get a photo soon.

Cool man. I betn that also proves vfts are closely related to sundews
smile.gif

Wow that is pretty cool
smile.gif
I am going to have to try that, I'm gonna go do it right now.

After my new plant establishes itself I'll try that

One definitely will get better results with an entire leaf cutting. The reason that I used the trap as a possible cutting was that it broke off during a transplant. The plantlet is forming where the petiole connected to the trap.

Nick,
You used just the trap? Who'da thunk it? That's pretty cool. I just had my first success with regular leaf cuttings, I'll have to try your thing out!
I did notice when doing my cuttings, though, that the undevelped leaf (the trap was still sealed and pointed backwards) struck the fastest. The funniest thing was that it continued to grow and actually openned and was able to eat a meal. It even openned BACK up without rotting.

Ok, here are some photos of the trap cutting.

VFT_trap_cutting_in_media.jpg

VFT_trap_cutting_rooted.jpg

I was suprised that the trap lasted as long as it had without wilting or turning black. I was even more surprised when it rooted.

cool , i'm gonna try it too , and also , was that a dente flytrap , cool , it'll probably make dente traps as well .

oh , i found a picture of a trap cutting too an an old book about vfts , so i guess this would'nt be the first time it happened but this is still cool .

Wow thats realy cool! (Now if this method can be perfected you could get 2 plants fom each leaf&#33
wink.gif

Aww, its so cute.
tounge.gif

I'm definately interested in perfecting the propagation of these little monsters.
smile.gif

Leaf cutting using just the trap! Now that's amazing!!!
biggrin.gif

Would not have consider this if not for this forum. I got to try this myself on my typical, dente, and red dragon.

Thanks Nick.
wink.gif

Ok, here is an updated photo of the trap cutting.

TrapCutting5-6-04.jpg

The plant is about 1" in diameter.

A TRAP cutting? Not many people have done that before (only top class scientists)
tounge.gif

Good going man!
wink.gif

Jason

WOW
i was thinking about what Pond Boy said, if u can perfect this method, u can get 2 plants from 1 leaf
biggrin.gif

that doubles the productivity of cuttings
Time to start experimenting on trap cuttings
biggrin.gif

sure to be a win at the science fair
tounge.gif

doesn't it weaken the plant when you cut off a trap or do a leaf cutting? I'm thinking of doing a leaf cutting with my dente that came in the mail two weeks ago, the traps are green but there growth is stunted would that be okay?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pooplol @ May 11 2004,3:39)]doesn't it weaken the plant when you cut off a trap or do a leaf cutting? I'm thinking of doing a leaf cutting with my dente that came in the mail two weeks ago, the traps are green but there growth is stunted would that be okay?
Yes, it does weaken the plant, which is why you should only do it with healthy plants.  Personally, I think you may also only want to try older leaves as they are likely to die soon so might as well try to get another plant out of them.

Personally I wouldn't recommend doing a leaf cutting on a new plant, especially one that is recovering.

That's really cool; drat, I shouldn't have snipped off the traps on the leaves I used for my cuttings!

would the trap cuttings work if the traps were starting to die?

I don`t think so the trap wouldn`t have enough energy to work.

Back