What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange colors

Hello all,

Hope all's well. Two of my VFT plants are growing strange shaped leaves, not the fly traps, but something looks like a five leaf flower. Do I have a mutant plant? Is this common? One of my plants, near the bottom, have really red stems, I think this is common...But what isn't is that on my common fly trap plant, one of the stems is almost black, while closer to the bottom, it's green. The leaves adjacent to it are similar. Is it dying? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, I myself, am pretty new also. This is spring time and towards spring time, your plant will stop growing the normal shaped leaves and start growing shorter almost heart-shaped leaves. Mine is doing the same thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pacino1901 @ April 16 2003,10:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Welcome to the forum, I myself, am pretty new also. This is spring time and towards spring time, your plant will stop growing the normal shaped leaves and start growing shorter almost heart-shaped leaves. Mine is doing the same thing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You have that backwards. The short heart shaped leaves are winter leaves. If your plant is doing that now, it's going into crash-out dormancy.

...Regarding the origenal post. I don't understand the questions. Are you saying your plant has made a flower and that one of your leaves are dieing? Dieing leaves start at the tip and move back tword the base of the leaf as the plant removes the water supplie to it, it's normal.

Hi there,

Actually, the stem is black while the leaf is green. That's really strange to me...And two other growing surrounding leaves have black tips...

As for the heart-shaped flowers, that's actually not what I meant, either. My VFT's are growing long leaves, some with traps at the ends, others, with these things that I've never seen before...It's like for ball-shaped buds with a main bud on the top...Will this crude drawing help? Hopefully...Thanks anyway.

O O
O--------------------
O O

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick response. Okay, so that means that my plant's growing three flowers. In a different posting, I read that I can actually take the flower and somehow create seeds from it, by rubbing it onto another flower? I'm not sure, but to have more vft seeds would be neat. Any ideas?

Hi BobZ,

My flowers look close to the image of the flower you told me to reference. Should I pluck out the leaf or will it hurt the plant?

Um, the symptoms of the leaves sugest crown rot, or serious stress. Normally I'd say flowering is okay, but with a plant having leaves die from the crown on up, you may not want to rick the plant to flowers this year and just remove those staulks.

Back