What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange goings on with my vft

I purchased a nice common plant from my local garden centre a few weeks ago, the plant is growing really well until I noticed a sickle shaped trap which popped up.

I submerged the plant in RO water this evening, I was going to leave it there for a day or 2 to clear any pests which may be hiding in there...

After a while I spotted 2 transparent tubes sticking up about 5mm past the soil, I poked one and it shot back under the soil, any idea what these are?
wow.gif

maybe some kind of worm?

I think they are fungus gnat larvae, managed to grab one with some needlenose pliers.

Going to repot shortly...

o_O freaky, black fly larvea will do that too.

Are those good or bad for your vft?  Do they keep the fungus away?  Would that be a good thing or do you just not want that in your house?  Sorry, but I still learing.

I believe they are bad as they cause deformed traps/leaves which dont work very well at all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (newbie-flycatcher @ May 26 2003,02:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After a while I spotted 2 transparent tubes sticking up about 5mm past the soil, I poked one and it shot back under the soil, any idea what these are?  
wow.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Whoa... that brought images from ''Alien'' back into my mind...

Too many science fiction movies...

newb, brand new young tasty and tender flytrap flesh is prime eats for fungus gnat larvae.

Submerging in water above the crown will probably do the trick, though, I should think a few hours at most would be sufficient.

Also, you can spray the soil with a light misting of neem oil, that should kill the little buggers.

Someone like Tony who keeps hundreds if not thousands of plants can probably tell you the most effective spot treatment for one plant.

Back