What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a red vft?

Hi all,

I got a VFT today. Its trap interior is completely red. One of the trap's teeth are red. The exterior isn't red, but newly emerging traps/stalks are reddish, with green on the unopened trap. The plant was kept in a shaded area in the nursery I got it from.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Is this a red VFT?

It might be, but you won't know for sure untill you have had it in good light for a while. Even if it isn't an all red, getting a plant with solid smooth color inside the trap is a great find too! Most just have a burst of color at the center and sort of peeter out to green befor hitting the edges of the mouth.

Here's a pic of the VFT:
vft3.jpg

Sorry its just a typical.........actually a very beatiful typical!
smile.gif
I believe you will get really red traps with that plant.
smile.gif

Oh well.. that's a little disappointment BUT it is a very beautiful plant in its own right too
smile.gif

Anyway, my other typical VFT has only half pink (not even red) traps, the other has like green traps (and it's a typical, supposedly)... so are there diff types of "typicals" with diff trap colourations?

Very nice plant.
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
And yes, there are different "types" of typical vfts.

Later
wink.gif
Wes

ebeyonder, I will tell you a typical can very quite a bit. Some typicals may produce "Giant" traps. Some can even give out a deep deep burgandy in the traps. I know a friend who has a typical, but everyone thinks its some sort of All red trap clone. I will bet that the typical in that picture will be very pretty if you give it maximum sun exposure to the sun.Here is a very red typical:
AvftNo1.jpg

Yah, it's typical, but an awsome one!

Just an addendum to this. How much sun is maximum sun? Ebeyonder and I live in equatorial SEA, where temperatures can easily reach 38C in direct sunlight. Won't this cause the VFT to burn, even if it does guarantee redness?

Also, I was going to post about my dismal repotting attempt, but after reading eBeoynder's posts, I'm slightly more reassured. Mine's been repotted in a stratified medium: sphagnum moss, then peat moss, then some sphagnum, then more peat. I hope that isn't a problem.

Just as long as you do it slowly so the flytrap can adapt will be fine.

er, uh you mean layers? Layers aren't usually a good idea, but you can give it a try.

I've got a qustion or two or three

question 1 & 2: How can you tell the difference between a typical and a non-typical? Does just come with experience?

question 3: Why is it not a good idea to have layers in the soil?

Just wondering.

Wes
tounge.gif

Hey Colin, I put my older VFT outside. It seems to be doing OK. All its leaves are green and there's a nice pinkish colour inside the traps. But as uglypho has said, slow adaptation is the key. I got another VFT from FEF a month ago. As u know, those were put under heavy shade at FEF. When I put it out in the hot sun immediately after purchase, some of the leaves promptly turned yellow/brown within days and died. However, the plant is now putting out new green leaves.

Glad to here the plats adapting Ebeyonder.Wes, If the plant has a consistent feature,e.g.prostrate habit, it is not a typical.Don't get the last one Wes.
tounge.gif

Consistent feature? Sorry but I'm not the greatest vocabulary student so could you explain that? E.g. prostrate habit? Explain that one while at it.
confused.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif
Thanks

Wes

Guess I was unclear, sorry about that. Ok, you can tell if your plant is not a typical if the plant grows differently and "won't' revert to a typical growth. For instance, I have a VFT that is flat all year, this plant is called a "prostrate clone''. If the the plant has purple traps instead of the usual red, its a red purple plant. However, if the plant sends out one ''sorta'' purple trap, then all the other traps r regular red, its not a red purple/ bigmouth plant.

Yes, why is soil layering a bad thing? I always thought having it in pure peat was not a good thing as peat is a very dense medium.

Wow,Uglypho beutiful plant! isn`t it a blood red trap though?

Nope, just a typical. I would say a common VFT can be mastaken for a blood red.

Back