What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rampuppy, just another question

• Thread starter kaynz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    winter
K

kaynz

We have a dehumidifier (we live in the southern hemisphere) and I was wondering if the water from that would be ok for the plant? Also, do I have to put it in the fridge (because it is our winter) to give it a dormant period?

I think you can use that water but I prefer distilled or rain water.I have been using distilled water and it suits my flytraps very well.And you do need to put your plant in the fridge.

I really wouldn't use that water Sorry
sad.gif

but if u have an AC you can use the water from that if you like its all ok or just use rain water
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't use the water from things like that. When they suck in the air they also get a lot of dust. This puts bad stuff in the water.

Airconditioners and dehumidifiers both create condensation by cooling air blown over the coils. The only thing that I know of that might cause problems is if they are dirty which may spread fungus spores to your CPs when you water them. If the drip trays, coils, and hoses are kept clean, that would reduce the chance of giving your CPs a case of the creeping crud.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

I agree with BCK, as long as it is kept clean, you will be AOK.

I would also, if worried aboug fungi and mold, microwave or boil the water... (microwave is probably better... nothing kills like cosmic rays right!?
smile.gif
)

but yes, as long as it is kept clean, and you make sure your not watering with dust and other particulates, I would say your doing A OK, and you could always run it through a paper coffee filter to get the larger matter as well..

but one thing is certain, unless you have a lot of mineral dust floating around your house (live near a rock quarrey or something) your getting a very clean form of water.

Just keep the de-humidifier clean.

Back