What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft seedling journal

I'm new to this so please be kind.  I was wondering which of my vfts will produce seed?  Or better yet, which vfts won't produce any?  My collection is getting bigger all the time and I was wondering what to exspect seed from?  Also can I cross my plants?

Yes,you can cross any vfts together,as long as they are properly pollinated they should all produce seed!
tounge.gif

Nightbreed,
Allowing VFTs to flower is not quite the same as most other plants. Flowering/seed production is an extremely stressful cycle for VFTs and is generally discouraged for less experienced growers. It can however be done successfully provided that the parent plants are very healthy. I dont know how long you have been growing VFTs or how your particular plants condition is so I am reluctant to encourage you to attempt flowering your plants untill you feel confident enough in your ability to do so without harming the parent plants.

As for crossing different varieties, it can be done successfully. I dug back in the forum logs and came up with this piece which was written by Tony Paroubek:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Growing plants from seed will produce a variety of offspring.  You can't be guaranteed you will get the same traits as the parent plant.  Particularly for a trait such as dente teeth which may or may not show up in the seedlings.  Color and size of traps will vary also, even if a plant is self pollinated.

Will you end up with something like the parent plant? Perhaps... more than likely not.

NOW the whole issue is whether it can be called the same thing!  According to the ICPS if a plant looks close enough to the published description, then it may use that cultivar name.  Personally I dissagree.  My opinion the cultivar name should only be used with the original plant and vegatively propagated offspring.
Tony

I hope this helps some.  Good luck
Steve

Yes, I plan to wait until I have established my plants for 3-4 years. I decided to plant all my vfts in a larger bog garden container this spring. After I determine my green thumb ability, I want to give it a try. I believe the "ALL Green" variety will not produce seed. Are there any others?

nightbreed, all VFTs are fertile.  Is there some reason that you don't think your 'All green' will produce seed?  As for varieties of VFT, this site has a good listing and a few pictures of the variations found in Venus Flytraps:  VFT mutations.  As you will see, there is only one kind of VFT, but it has a lot of variations on that form.

smile.gif

BCK

Ftg hows the one that survived doing? Any pics?
smile.gif
rock.gif

AAAA! Oh no! It died! *bangs head on the floor*

heres another website dedicated to vft mutants http://hometown.aol.com/lulibybb/vftm.html
I can't remember that mutants that people wanted so much with the really long petioles ? Oh , FTG , while your banging your head on the floor , there still might be a survivor in that pile of dead plants , otherwise you should've kept those extra seeds in the beggining inc ase something like this would've happened .

Sorry to hear that ftg it must feel realy bad since it was a cross between you`r own plants,It must feel like you lost your own child,I know it realy hurts when I lose one of my chickens I raised myself from eggs,dang barred owl!,they are worse then squirells!,MKan if I get my hand on that owl.he WILL be DEAD! BWAHAHAHA!
mad.gif

Goldtrap, WAAAAAAA!!! *hates herself for disposing of the extra 80 seeds* (yes, I got a total of far over 100 seeds from both plants total)

*kicks herself for reminding Spec of that and she ducks and covers*

You should see me when there's a Kenny Chesney music video on CMT. I'm a riot. You've never seen anyone stare at the TV like it's chocolate cake like I do.
wink.gif

Hi FTG - I'd like to offer my condolences for your loss. I can empathise. When I was a kid (though I still claim to be 18) I used to have a bunch of fish tanks. Aside from the usual livebearers, I got into breeding Anabantids, specifically, Dwarf, Blue, Pearl, and Thick lipped Gouramis, as well as Paradise fish, and Bettas. Aside from attrition I also had a bit of bad luck. A whole tank of pearl Leeris went when the heater decided to malfunction, cooking my fry. Only one fish avoided death, making it to adulthood, and that was a betta I didn't know existed. It was "lost" for several months in a small tank I had set up to grow Water Sprite. The plants took over the tank and hid my my baby from me.

Reading your post from 7/26 about your media you mentioned sterilized silica sand. Where did you get this sand and what brand is it. I work at Home Depot and thay have all manner of sand. What would be appropriate. Also. I have a creek tributary running behind me with a sandy substrate. Iff'n I were to boil it, would it be safe to use?

Back