What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft seedling journal

Hi! But that should probably be posted as a new topic... go to the main Flytrap forum page and click "New Topic" and make a new post. You'll probably get more reply
smile.gif

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>09</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>04</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

This is turning out better than I expected. Only one has died so far, and it WAS pretty small... now I only have 20. Oh well... I guess I won't be being quite as generous giving some of them away!  
wink.gif

Also, it's been almost seven weeks since I planted them, so I seriously doubt the forty that haven't sprouted yet will sprout... ya think?

It will be 2 weeks saturday since I sowed my seeds atleast you got 20 even if I get all of them I'll only get 15

Glad to hear they`re doing better!

My seeds just germinated this week as well! They were the ones Tamlin gave me
smile.gif

How long before they start to grow carnivorous leaves?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Sep. 04 2003,4:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, it's been almost seven weeks since I planted them, so I seriously doubt the forty that haven't sprouted yet will sprout... ya think?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
FTG,

They may sprout. I wouldn't give up. I recall someone planted their seed right after they ripened and 9 months later he was still finding seedlings popping up in the pots.

Some sprout earlier than others, usually stratification leads to a more uniform germination.

Well, I know they got stratification in the form of two months in the fridge while I went off to NC a couple months ago... anyhowees, they should get carnivorous leaves somewhere around... four weeks. Almost all of mine have developing traps now.

Hey FTG?
When you say "I know they got stratification in the form of two months in the fridge while I went off to NC" Do you mean you stored them dry in the fridge for 2 months? According to the FAQ pages, VFT seeds need a damp stratification of several weeks. "The cold, moist treatment is called stratification---you have to do it. Just storing the seeds in a dry packet in the refrigerator does not count, by the way---they must be stored moist." (Barry Rice..  FAQ pages)
Savage Garden says that you can sow seeds immediately without stratification, so I guess there is some difference of opinion on this subject.  Given you have an apparant 66% failure rate on this batch of seeds I suspect that lack of damp stratification could be to blame.
I have to say I tend to lean more towards the FAQ pages for information on cultivating VFTs simply because everything that I've tried that is suggested there has worked flawlessly for me.
Next season I plan to let my Green Dragons flower and seed. I'm going to try out both methods and see if there is any difference in the results (keep your eyes open next summer for "VFT guys seedling journal")  lmao

Cheers
Steve

Hi VftGuy & FlytrapGurl-

I recently collected VFT seeds and sent most in to the ICPS seedbank. I did save and plant some within a week or two of collecting the seeds - and after 3 weeks have had nearly 100% germination. I sent some to Schloaty and he has had pretty good germination too. So, my personal experience is no stratification if you have fresh seed.

WildBill

Okay then... I had the seeds all dry in a Mott's Applesause container, covered in plastic wrap and a rubber band and in a Ziploc bag when they were in the fridge. Bummer, dude... well, at least some grew... and some traps will be opening reeeeeaaaaalllll soon!!!
biggrin.gif

Any updates? I hope to have a seedling soon.
smile.gif

Oh... sorry... but not much has relly been happening at all... just slooooowwwwww grrrrrroooooowwwwwwiiiiinnnnnnnnggggg for the most part, although a few traps have opened. I'l, keep you updated on any changes!

I wish I could sow vft seeds.  I can't give a vft cold stratisfication so vft and anything that needs dormancy are out of the question.  Which means I have to get rid of my purp and vft from pft before dormancy.  Sigh.  You're so lucky.

Why can't you have plants that need dormancy?
sad.gif
confused.gif
wow.gif
confused.gif

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>10</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>05</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

Alright... well, it seems I have lost another. I now have a total of 19 weebees. They are all doing well, and I'm misting them often to get rid of that dang darned moldish/mildewish/fungusish stuff. I'll keep you posted!

Greetings,
FTG

What type of mold are you getting on your seedlings and what are you misting them with? I haven't misted my seedlings at all and only had one that started to get a gray mold on it. I used a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to rid the seedling of the mold. You just want to touch the mold with the alcohol and avoid touching the leaves of the vfts.

I have vft seedlings of my own. I sowed them in Aug and their doing really good. I have about 20 seedlings now. As for cold stratification, I didn't do it, I sowed them fresh in long fibered spagnum moss.
smile.gif

Nick, eh, water... I'm misting them with water...

Well, I didn't think this was worth doing all my fancy, colored, bold UPDATE title junk... I got home at exactly midnight last night. And, bloody pain, every single one, dead. Well, maybe one will be okay, but I don't see a sprig of the others. They were watered and got sun and all! I have absolutely no idea why they died!!! Oh well... there's next year...

wouldn't misting with water help mold grow? Zongyi

Well, Spec and several others have told me that misting with water helps... and surprisingly, it worked...

Back