What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft seedling journal

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>09</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

WOOHOO!!! Four more sprouts!!! I'm doing gooooooood!!!

If you need more seeds to experiment with, I have a crop maturing right now of the clumping type typical form that you are welcome to when they pop.

I would reeeeeeeeeeally like to have some of those seeds to experiment with.

I had a few seeds sprout about 1 month after all the others. I thought they were dead, but left them to see what would happen. Well, they sprouted. You will have more seeds sprouting over time.
smile.gif

The scientist in me wants FlyTrapGurl to keep a log of how many seeds sprout a day to get a better estimation on the germination time of these little guys.

I'm confused, now...
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
FTG said that she is about to plant her refridgerator stored seeds, yet the seeds I just got from the ICPS say nothing about stratification... That is just a storage process, right?... Thanks!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>13</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

WOOHOO!!! I now have a total of SEVENTEEN seedlings!!! Ahh, this is great...

At this rate they will all sprout by September 1st!

LOL yeah I hope so, but it's extremely unlikely that they will ALL sprout. Probably just about 90% of them. Oh well... Atleast I got alot of luck with these! Oh my God... I just realized something... I... I'VE DONE SOMETHING RIGHT!!! WOW!!!
wow.gif
tounge.gif

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>17</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

WOOHOO!!! Total of 20 seedling as of today!!!
biggrin.gif
Ah, I'm a happy camper... er, CPer...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scottychaos @ Aug. 08 2003,08:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">''Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss" is technically correct..
because PEAT moss *is* decompsed spagnum!
although technically, if its now peat, it isnt really sphagnum anymore, even though it once was, so I guess it ok to call peat "spagnum peat" because it is kinda both..
So peat IS also spagnum, but spagnum is NOT peat because spagnum hasnt turned into peat yet!
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

FTG, if you are getting some kind of mold/fungus on your seeds, I would guess you arent giving the pot enough direct light and/or ventelation..are you treating the VFT seeds the exact same way as your adult VFTs? the pot of seeds should get just as much light as the adult plants..lots of direct sun! they wont burn if they are exposed to the sun BEFORE and AS they sprout..if they sprouted in shade and *then* you moved them into sun, they would burn..thats why its best to sprout them in "normal" VFT conditions, so they are fully adapted to the direct sunlight "from birth"..then they will never burn.
keeping them out of sunlight because they seem "delicate" will only make them weak..(im not sure that is what you are doing..im just saying, in general, not accusing you of anything!  
wink.gif

(edit)..'doh! I replied from page one, and so I didnt see FTG's reply about the germanating until AFTER I posted!
so never mind about the mold then!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

congratulations FTG!!

Scot[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
o_O um, peat is any rotted vegitaion in a pure state. You have to say Sphagnum peat or you could use the wronge stuff. Granted we don't call all rotted plant material peat, but a lot of it we do. Theirs palm peat, coco peat, coconut bark peat, fern peat... just to name a few I've seen.

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>21</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

Perfectly fitting the date, I now have 21 seedlings!!! ***does the bang bang boogie*** Many have two leaves (no traps), and one has three leaves (no traps). *bang bang boogie*

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>22</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

Same total of seedlings, but at least two are growing new leaves... with TRAPS!!!!!!!! Yes, some are already growing traps!!! I'm soooooooooo ecstatic, once again! I'd better stop this bang bang boogie stuff every time I get happy... I'm going to suffer serious internal damage here... !!!

Greetings,
a purely ecstatic FTG

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>30</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

WHY ME?! Two days ago, my friend was out in the backyard watering the garden for me, and she didn't realize that the two trays of VFT seedlings were sitting RIGHT THERE next to the flowerbed. ***sigh*** Well, you know where this is leading. Well, I flushed out the pots three times already and changed the water in the trays two times, and everything is... fair. Except they look a little... iffy, and one has a couple blackening leaves
sad.gif
. Any tips on how to save them? I'm desperate.

I think you are overreacting.  Just keep watering them with your water and they should be ok.  I doubt one watering will kill them.  And all that flushing may be doing them more harm than good as they are in a pretty fragile state.  Just remember, some of us don't even have seedlings.
sad.gif

I'm not worried about the overwaterring at all... guess what my friend was watering the garden with when the water got on the seedlings? Garden hose. Garden hose = Chlorine water.

wow.gif
4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Aug. 31 2003,11
wow.gif
4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not worried about the overwaterring at all... guess what my friend was watering the garden with when the water got on the seedlings? Garden hose. Garden hose = Chlorine water.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
congrats on your new sprouts! They should be fine. one tap watering wouldn't do anything to them. and besides, its the minerals that hurt them, not the chlorine
wink.gif

the flushing out 3 times might do harm, as someone else said, they are in a fragile state right now. just baby them for a while, be patient, and they should be fine. think of it as a natural 'weeding out' of the weak seedlings...
confused.gif
smile.gif

yah 1 watering with the tap water won't dop harm . congrat on the sprouts as well , i can't wait the mature with traits .

My luck is so, sooooo eternally rotten... something goes wrong, then my deep experience turns against me. Oh well... I have hope they'll be okay. Only one is dying right now.

Thanks for the help!
FTG

Hi... Can anyone help me please? My vft is smaller then the size of my pinky nail....
biggrin.gif
Wierd but mine is turning black.... some of em... I'll show u my pics... But i don't know how to put em in?
confused.gif
HELP NEEDED!!
smile.gif

Back