What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft seedling journal

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Hello all! Well, sometime this week, maybe even tomorrow, I'm going to plant my 60 fridgeretor-preserved VFT seeds that one of my Green Dragons and one of my Commons produced a couple months ago. I will plant four seeds each in Mott's Applesauce containers. Number of containers required is 15. I have, so far, emptied ten of them. I'll try not to explode while emptying the last five today LOL
tounge.gif
... anyhowees, as soon as I see the faintest sprout, I will post a reply in this topic to update y'all, and I will keep you posted on the further progress of them. Unfortunately, no pics will be available, for, brace yourself again, ***screams at the top of her lungs*** ME NO HAVE DIGITAL CAMERA!!!!!! ***pants in exhaustion*** Anyhowees...

I'll keep you posted!
                       An eager FTG

Did you cross the two plants?
wow.gif

Uhhhh... yeah.
confused.gif

FTG-You seem confused. Cross pollination is when you rub some of the green dragon's pollen with the typical's pollen.The seeds then should produce a VFT with the combined traits of the green dragon and typical. That is how many cultivors are created. For instance, the crossing of red dragon and typical created the green dragon. The crossing of the Holland red and the sawtooth created the akai ryu.

Uglypho, what are you talking about? She just said she was going to plant the seeds she got out of the cross... er yah,whatever.... Anyhow, YAY! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes FTG! I'd also like to recomend Jiffy peat pellots for starting them, the things microwave easy for stirilization and they work great
smile.gif

I planted them today!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ July 25 2003,2:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the things microwave easy for stirilization and they work great
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Just out of curiousity how long and at what setting do you microwave for? Are there any signs (ie crisping of peat, smoke billowing out of microwave
tounge.gif
) to know when it's done. I realize that microwaves are different, but I'm just wondering what works for you. I currently use an autoclave to sterilize my media, but it would be nice to know if I ever need to use the microwave.

I was talkin about cross pollination. You know, crossing 2 VFTs. Ok let's make this clearer. FTG-So you you didn't cross the plants, right? Well good luck onthe seedlings!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

***speaks slowly and clearly to pho*** Yes, I crossed the Green Dragon with the Common. Problemo?

Now to everybody,
I discovered a new tactic in keeping soil from slipping out the drainage holes! Coffee filters! I used trimmed ones in the little Mott's Applesause containers that I planted four seeds each in. Okay, here's the plan: I have four seeds in each container. I have sixty seeds and fifteen containers, each container has four holes in the bottom that *I* myself burned into them. The seeds are on a mixture of peat and sterilized silica sand. Under the soil, there are trimmed coffee filters that work extremely well in only letting water pass through the holes, not dirt. I have two huge (like, one foot wide and two inches deep) watering trays that I filled up with containers and filled halfway with water. Okay, so I think I'm all set. Now I just have to sit around and wait for six weeks... or was it two weeks?

Ok, can't wait to see what you will get!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uglypho @ July 24 2003,7:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FTG-You seem confused. Cross pollination is when you rub some of the green dragon's pollen with the typical's pollen.The seeds then should produce a VFT with the combined traits of the green dragon and typical. That is how many cultivors are created. For instance, the crossing of red dragon and typical created the green dragon. The crossing of the Holland red and the sawtooth created the akai ryu.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Soooooooooooooo... what do I not understand??? I crossed the two plants. That's it. What is there to not understand?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Okay...... You should get quite a monster in 5 years.
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uglypho @ July 27 2003,8:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Okay...... You should get quite a monster in 5 years.
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
<span id='ME'><center>FlytrapGurl is so, so lost</center></span>

Well if you cross a green dragon and a typical.... you would get somthing different right? If i'm confusing you, just get on with the journal K?!?!?!?

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>01</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span><span style='color:red'>|</span>

Weeeeelll, not much, except for the fact that there is a strange, light green, fuzzy substance capping the most upward-facing ends of several seeds...
confused.gif
What's this??? I'm beginning to get a little worried...

*giggle* wee hee hee, thats baby sphagnum moss
wink.gif
Kind of freaky the first time you see it!

Make sure you don't let the Spaghnum moss take over the seedlings and choke them out. It almost did that with some of mine.

Number one, I didn't put any sphagnum in the soil, and number two, the green stuff looks like mildew and is on the seeds themselves.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Number one, I didn't put any sphagnum in the soil, and number two, the green stuff looks like mildew and is on the seeds themselves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Woh, wait, what kinda soil do you got your seeds in?
confused.gif

Wes

Back