What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungicide+Dormancy

When you put a flytrap into dormancy do you absolutely have to use an fungicide or not. What could happen to the plant?
tounge.gif

I can see you like the show The Simpsons! Thats Apu's last name! LOL! Anyway, yes you should use fungiced.

Kevin

You don't have to, it is just suggested that you use it. The worst thing that could happen is it dies. I really never had a problem with fungus (knock on wood) but I use it just in case. It is used because the lack of air moving around and it is moist with not much light. Perfect place for fungus to grow. It is just like having insurance on your one of a kind fluorescent light from Kmart or car insurance.
wink.gif

travis

nahasapeemapetilon,

While you don't have to use fungicide (I haven't in the last two years) many people strongly recommend that you do simply to protect your plants. Many people have a lot of time, effort, and money invested in their plants and to have them wiped out by fungus while they are dormant would be a hard blow. Especially when you consider how inexpensive a fungicide treatment is when you do a lot of plants or a few expensive ones.

Basically it boils down to how much is it worth to you to protect your plant(s) as apposed to replacing them if fungus gets them?

While I haven't used fungicide before, all I had where a couple of typical vfts. I will be using it this year since my collection now includes red & green dragons and a couple of Sarracenia.

Yep gotta love the simpsons. Its the best show ever and I think that is the longest running animated comedy on tv.
biggrin.gif

I believe that a couple things happen:

1) If the soil is too wet, that will breed mold. You just want to keep it damp, but not like you would during its growing season.

2) If you have had a mold problem during the growing season, it would be a safe thing to apply something during its dormant period.

Remember that dark, cold, wet conditions breed mold just like hot and humid do.

----

Like someone pointed out, it depends on how you value your plants. And how many that you have.

Cleary3336 and Banrot are 2 things that we sell, and they are what we use on a regular basis for all plants. ( cp's and non ). We use them as preventive measure and in the event of something coming up.

If you have a few plants, a little will go a long way.

But like some people have said, they haven't had a problem, while others just won't take a chance. It just depends where you want to stand.

I would do whatever I could to help keep something from killing my plants. I have some VFT's that are many years old ( they are my baby's ), as well as some Sarracenia. I would die if I lost them!!

I only have one question on the whole dormancy process, how much fungicide should you put on your plants before putting them into dormancy? I was thinking just a little bit on the top of the soil
smile.gif
but I just wanted to be sure as not to use too little or too much
wink.gif

Back