What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New mutant vfts?

Hello,
I have a flytrap, but it's newest trap doesn't have any trigger hairs. Another one of my plants has a flowers talk, it split into two scapes, and theres several traps growing in-between the fork! what's with this?

Please show us a photo and maybe someone will know!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

A mutation that is either genetic or cultural. It could also be caused by excess chemicals that where left over from tc.

Dionaea muscipula 'gunshy'
smile.gif

Get it... no trigger
confused.gif

Can we see a picture(s) of that even if we don't know "what's with this?"?  Pleeaaasssse!?
smile.gif

Don't make a grown man beg more than this.  It's pretty pathetic to see
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Ouch Nick, that hurt!
smile.gif
tounge.gif

No trigger hairs? Does it close? Weird

As for the traps on the flower scape, that's not all that unheard of. It does occasionally happen, and you can actually pot up that part of the flower scape. I forget the name of the mutation...someone help me out here....
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It does occasionally happen, and you can actually pot up that part of the flower scape.  I forget the name of the mutation...someone help me out here.... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think it is a mutation because of it's frequency of occurance. But I do remember the name of it, it's called Vegetative Appomixis. Weird name huh?
confused.gif

Mike
smile.gif

Vegetative Appomixis is when the flower produces traps and not seeds, this is not what I';m seeing with my VFT
smile.gif
. I'll get a pic tonight

About a month back I had a trap with no teeth. No I have a trap that looks like a parrot the tip of the trap looks like a beak. i will try to get pics
biggrin.gif

Are you guys talking about false vivipiary? BobZ has some picks on his sight of it.

One of my VFTs split and the trap on one of the new ones looks really weird: It's as if you took away one side of the trap and folded the other side around so that it was over the place where you took away the other trap. I don't think it will close though. Looks like a cup trap almost... I'll have to see what the other traps look like.
confused.gif

Regards, Hamata

Dionaea are notorious for making oddball traps and flowerstems. A little environmental stress or some such thing and they come out with something non-normal. I have yet to see a VFT not do this at one time or another. What makes these common events different is they are random and not stable.

Tony

Back