What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dirt?

I have a miracle grow canadian spag..... moss dirt with perlite and a fertilizer will the fertilizer kill it?

First I would like to welcome you to the forums.

Yes, the fertilizer will the VFT. It will burn the roots causing the plant to die.

VFT come from places where the soil is acidic and has or little nutritions. Forming traps to capture the extra nutrtions that is needed.

Hi Venus Stephen

Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif
Don't use any kind of dirt or commercial potting soil for your VFT. Most people develop a soil "recipe" they like but the gist is, as mentioned, nutrient-poor soil as in their native environment. Typically sphagnum peat moss and sand is used (1:1 ratio)...you can also add perlite...and some people grow their VFTs in pure long-fiber sphagnum moss. I use a mix of peat/sand/perlite and a little chopped sphagnum.

And pardon me if you already know this, but there is a difference between peat moss and longfibered sphagnum moss. The peat looks like fluffy brown dirt...and the moss looks like dried moss (usually sold in a clear bag).

Just avoid soil/dirt and fertilizer, give it lots of pure water (rain or distilled) and lots of sun and you should be fine.

Good luck! And come back often.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back