What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traps not Red.....

• Thread starter Frogger
  • Start date
I have a green dragon, and its traps are still green.
I have it in a windowsill facing south, which gets about 5-6 hours of sunlight daily.
I've seen no improvement in the traps turning red.
Should I switch it to artifiical lighting instead (with a plant light)?

I have a vft common and it was completly green for five monthes until a month ago. How long have you had it for? Maybe it's just adjusting to it's new enviroment?

Hi Frogger,
VFT's like lots of direct sunlight. If you can't put them in a place where they can get some additional sunlight, then use artificial lighting to supplement their light needs. I think it's recommended they get 8 to 12 hours. I have mine outside where they get ~8 hrs of sun.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!
I'm embarassed to say that I have only had my vft for only a
week, and thought that it took only a couple of days for the traps to turn red.
I just finished reading on the main page of this site that it can take up to seven weeks.
I still feel as if it is not getting enough light in the window sill, so I am supplementing it with a "gro-lite" with about 12 hours of light per day and will see how that goes..........
tounge.gif

Back