What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit gnat infestation

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I have a fruit gnat problem(so to speak) in my terrarium. My plants seem to be fine with it though. They are all getting lots to eat. My pitcher plants seem to be eating the most then my sundews. I can't tell about my nepenthese and cobra lilly. My venus flytraps are are getting the smallest amount. They aocasionally get the grown gnats that escape the sundews. Is this okay that my plants are getting this much food. I have had the infestation for about a week. Do I need to get rid of the gnats?

sounds like fungus gnats....

hey, currently i have similar sounding bugs they are REALLY REALLY tiny and are completely white so far they only pop up about once a week, but they do seem to be multiplying
sad.gif
What should i do? Are they even a problem? Just to see if you have the same problem do your's fly? because mine do not and gnat implies flying

Well, I'm guessing that Wesley has fungi gnats or fruit flies. I'm unsure as to what a fruit gnat is though, lol
wink.gif

Salid shooter. it sounds like you have larva of some sort, probubly a little gnat again, or nematoads.

In general, small insects like these don't really pose a thret and their is no reson to panic. The food supplie won't hurt your plants. Unless you see actual damage to your plants, don't worry about the insects. However, if you feel their is a risk, VFTs can be submerged in distilled water for a few days to rid them of such pests.

Wes,
I had the same "problem" for a little while, but my 'dew's ate 'em all. Let me tell you, those 'dews are robust now!
biggrin.gif

They also flowered like crazy (currently harvesting D. Capensis 'alba' seeds)

I do not think fruity flies are bad. That is when sundews come in handy
wow.gif
. Although if you have fruit flies it may be a sign that something is going bad...
confused.gif
Since fruit flies hang around food that is going bad I would keep an eye out just in case. I would not worry about it that much.

Travis

Fruit flies are slow and have big eyes, and Fungus gnats are jerky in movement, and their wings move about when they walk.

Thanks you guys. I think that they are fungus gnats, and I think I will just watch and see. My pitcher plant seems to be keeping the population from rising, and my v-traps are enjoying the extra food. When it warms up I may put them outside; then hopefully I'll attract some spiders. The spiders will catch and eat all the gnats and then they themsevles will be caught and eaten by their greed. (To himself, "Yea... Yea, that ought to work just fine. I feel so smart that I know a way to get rid of those anoying gnats.")
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Has anybody seen film of that (I think African?) duck that lives on marshes and eats the marsh flies?

There are so many flies that the duck just walks along snapping its bill open and shut, grabbing the swarming flies right out of the air by chance. No effort at all!

Not the most varied or delicious diet in the world, but it can't get much easier.

Steve

Back