What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft flower stalks

My large Venus Flytrap has put up a 3 inch tall thick flower stalk.  I was looking at it today, and it has begun sending up a second flower stalk!  Does this happen often?

This VFT is the other half of the monster VFT I split earlier this spring.  The other half had begun sending up a flower stalk, but it was broken during our hail storm a couple weeks ago.  It too has begun sending up a second flower stalk.  

I'm half wanting to cut off the flower stalks, but I think to myself, "who goes around cutting off the flower stalks in the wild?"

So should I leave the flower stalks on or cut them off? I'm on another CP listserv, and the general attitude there is to leave the flower stalks on and let them flower. They say cutting off the flower stalk is an old wives tale, and most people who had left the stalk on and allowed the plant to flower haven't noticed much difference in the growth rate or size of the traps. What do you all think? Thanks.

Hello,

I would cut one of them off if you still want to have a flower.
I feel that one flower stalk is taxing enough for your plant.

If you don't care to see a flower or want seed, then cut both off.  Your VFT wont produce traps during the time of flowering and will produce smaller traps for several weeks after flowering until it builds up the resources again.

I myself like large numbers of huge traps over a short lived flower, but that is my preference.  If you want to propogate; Leaf cuttings will give you a two year head start over seeds, and will be a perfect clone of the mother plant; and is probably easier.

I am going to try seeds, just so I can say I did it, and will watch the babies grow (4-5 Years to maturity).

Spectabilis gave me some advice on how to do that.

It's your choice; but your plant needs to be pretty robust if you let if flower.

gary

A beautiful dog, the Giant Schnauser. Owned one when I was a kid. Can't imagine a better breed.

I always cut mine off. I don't want/need seed and I'd rather all energies go into growing the plant itself.

Great name you got there! I noticed it the other day in the member list. I have a wire fox but he is always mistaken for a miniature schnauzer. Terriers are great dogs. I LOVE my dog.
biggrin.gif
Did you happen to see the Kerry Blue "Mick" that won Westminster? Beautiful, impressive dog.

If only my dog would stay awake during the day to chase the squirrels away from my CPs...
confused.gif

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ April 18 2003,6:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great name you got there!  I noticed it the other day in the member list.  I have a wire fox but he is always mistaken for a miniature schnauzer.  Terriers are great dogs. I LOVE my dog.
biggrin.gif
 Did you happen to see the Kerry Blue "Mick" that won Westminster?  Beautiful, impressive dog.

If only my dog would stay awake during the day to chase the squirrels away from my CPs...  
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks!

I watched Westminster, and saw Mick win, he's such a great looking dog! But Koal (the Giant Schnauzer) should have won ;-) Altho I wouldn't want the Giant Schnauzer becoming another "101 Dalmation" as that's what happens often when a particular breed wins the Westminster. o_O.

Good thing we don't have squirrels :eek:) But we do have the occasion pair of ducks who stop by the pool for a swim, but leave my CPs alone thankfully....but someone did steal my U. gibba out of its tray....I'm thinking it was a bird, but not blaming the ducks.

Back