What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some beginner questions...

M

masumo

I just got my first flytrap from petflytrap.com and it arrived in excellent condition. However, about 3 of the traps are dead (they're black) and all of the traps are shut. I know I'm supposed to wait for the closed traps to open, but should i cut off the dead ones? If so, where should I cut them off at? Also, the pot it came in has a dish at the bottom of it. Is this dish attached to the pot? It seems stuck. And do I just put water in this dish? Thanks for the help!

i would just wait for the whole trap to turn completely black then cut it off and if the leaf turns black you can cut off what ever is black. Just put rain or distilled water in the dish on the bottom and yes it is attached.

I would wait till the whole leaf is dead... yellow, it doesnt have to be black... But as long as theres not mould, I dont see why it couldnt sit there... Is there anything wrong with cutting it off before its totally gone??? I would like to know that also. Also, i think that as long as its green its photosynthesising, so, thats anothe reason to keep it on.

there is nothing wrong with chopping the whole leaf if it is still green. As you said in your post the plant is still photosynthesising so is making food for the plant. Chop it off to early and you don't get this benefit. The traps tend to go black first the takes a few weeks for the rest of the leaf to turn black. I chop the trap once it's turned black/yellow and leave the rest of the leaf alone until it goes as well. Once 2/3's of the leaf has turned black or yellow then I cut it off.

Hey Masumo,

the dish is so you always have water for your plant. Always keep it filled and never let it dry out! That is the best way we have found to keep plants alive for people ( just make sure you are using distilled water and NOTHING ELSE
smile.gif
)

Don't take the dish off.

The plant will/does go through some shock in the mail. It is normal for the plant to lose a couple of leaves. Don't worry.

I would though cut off the trap and leave the stem. That way you are helping the plant. IF you leave the black trap on, it will spread a little faster and you will lose the whole leaf.

Just be sure to give your plant good lighting and the right water. You will be fine!
smile.gif

email me if you want to.... jaie@petflytrap.com

I will help you in any way that I can.

Keep us up to date on your plant!

Most of my traps have opened up now but when i tried to feed it a live spider (that i stunned in the freezer) the trap didn't shut on it. Oh well, I assume it's too soon considering the trap just opened. At least that's what I hope. Random questions:

1) How long does it take for the plant to reach full size?

2) Is it okay if all the leaves/traps overlap? Or should I pull them off each other?

(Edited by masumo at 3:40 pm on Mar. 21, 2002)

Yep, I'd wait a couple of weeks at least before trying to feed it. It might also be that the trap you picked was a bit old as well and wasn't up to trapping.
It will reach full size towards the end of summer, say August but will still be pretty big during June and July.
It's ok if the leaves and traps overlap, but I'd move them if it looks like a new trap is going to grow inside an existing one, although this doesn't happen very often in my experience.

its ok for traps to overlap but its all on how you want your vft to look, and it can take years for the plant to get as big as its gonna get if that is what you meant but july and august is when it'll be the biggest this growing season

if the traps grow over top of eachothe what happnes?

nothing really but the trap on the bottom may die cause it gets less light i have had big traps snap shut on small ones and it never hurt the trap inside

Help!! We received our new fly traps plants 2 weeks ago and we have several new green leaves but not new traps. The old leaves and traps are black and need to be discarded. Is this plant still alive?

Hey Ange,

As long as you have new growth coming form the center of the plant. It is still alive.

You should notice new traps that form on the ends of the leaves that grow.

They take some time to develop to mature traps.

If you have leaves that are turning black...cut them off.

If the trap is black, just cut the trap. The green parts can still be used to make energy for the plant ( photosynthesis )

Keep us informed about your plants!

And Welcome to the forums!!
smile.gif

Back