What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potting disaster

Hello all,

I repotted my VFT today cos the old pot was too small. My original plan was to take out the plant with the compost intact and simply put that into a bigger pot and fill the sides with new compost. Then I saw these little slow-release fertilizer balls and decided to do away with the old compost as well.

Fumbling along, I introduced peat/sand to many of the traps, causing them to shut. I put the whitish base into the soil but the part where the white changes to green is left exposed. I just couldn't bury this without burying some of the low-lying traps as well.

So, some questions:
1. Will the traps which have peat/sand in them die, or will they open up after a while?

2. Should I bury the whitish-green parts of the leaves? The big whitish bulb is underneath the soil.

3. What else shld I do?

Thanks!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Will the traps which have peat/sand in them die, or will they open up after a while?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No, they won't die. This happens to my VFT's every time it rains hard. When they re-open, you can gently flush them with water to clean them.
I'm going to let someone else anser the second question...I'm not too sure myself!

Thanks for the reply... hopefully it'll be all right.

Anyway I've got some pics of it here, just to see if any1 can see any probs with it.

vft4.jpg

vft5.jpg

The "before" pic is here.

The old pot was 3 inches deep; the new one's 5 inches.

i think that brown part at the bottom of your plant shown in the second pic is a flower spike that was cut

eBeyonder,
Looks fine to me! Looks like you did a great job on re-potting, if it was a first to you
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the helpful replies
smile.gif

But one concern... in the before pic, the leaves were in a nice little circle.. after repotting they look like they're all over the place. Did I do some (unintended) rearrangement and would this harm the plant?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eBeyonder @ July 28 2003,04:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Will the traps which have peat/sand in them die, or will they open up after a while?

2. Should I bury the whitish-green parts of the leaves? The big whitish bulb is underneath the soil.

3. What else shld I do?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sounds like me repotting my VFTs
biggrin.gif
The only thing left to do is enjoy your plants!
wink.gif
smile.gif

alien.gif

Don't worry about it, your plant will re-rosset in no time, it looks fine
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. Should I bury the whitish-green parts of the leaves? The big whitish bulb is underneath the soil.

3. What else shld I do?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

For number 2, it looks about right. Mine look like that and are fine.

For number 3, sit back relax and watch them grow to be pretty plants, that all the neighbors are awed by.
tounge.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Later
wink.gif
Wes

Just give it water and sunlight. I must say you did an exeptional job repotting.
smile.gif
No worries.

Thanks very much for the replies... some of the closed traps have reopened this morning, so I suppose that's an indication that it is still alive
biggrin.gif

Back