What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Condition when bought

• Thread starter bsmith201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
B

bsmith201

I just bought my venus fly trap yesturday, i was wondering how big it is when it comes, how long before i should water it, when should i re-pot it, will my cat try to eat it??? was your plant in good condition when it came, and finally how many days did it take to arrive with normal shipping. Thanx!

only u can tell us if your cat likes to chew plants regularly
confused.gif

water it right away with distilled ro or rain water
biggrin.gif

dont repot it anytime soon
wink.gif

it  might be in a bad condition tell us about yours
smile.gif

oh and mine came in 4 days and im in canada !  
tounge.gif

My plants were about 3" to 3½" across. It was just a little mussed looking but perked right up when I cleaned it a little with my misting bottle and watered it. I didn't lose any traps at all. You should water it as soon as you can.

It shouldn't need repotted for at least a year if not longer.

Whether your cat will bother it will depend on your cat.

Shipping normal mail took about 5 or 6 days.

Recieved my Green Dragon yesterday.
Shipping took 5 days.
The vft arrived in shabby condition, with one trap broken off.
All of the leaves were blackening, and 5 I know
are going to die, but there are new sprouts however.
It looks as if it will live.
I immediatley gave it water, and am adapting it to its surroundings.
I will post in a few days and give it an update.
I'll admit, I was a bit dissapointed about its condition, but I
know that with lots of TLC, it should be fine.
smile.gif

That's good that it has new sprouts. I hope that it does okay and that your cat takes no interest. Are you cutting off the blackened leaves? If they're drooping to the ground you probably should. I don't know if you all ready knew that or not so sorry if I'm telling you info you all ready know. Congrats on your new baby. Shauntell

To Shauntell:
Thanks for the info.
Just to let you know, Bsmith201 is the one with the cat.
I posted here to let them know the condition of a new
pft on arrival.

This is a great idea, and was wondering if it would be worth to
start a poll (maybe on a scale of 1 to 10) of your CP's
condition when it arrives?
wow.gif

ya good ideal with the poll i'll start it

The poll looks great!!
I tried to cast my vote, but it says that I already casted a vote!!!
I'm trying to figure out how?

I know that Exotic Gardens takes a lot of care when shipping out their CP's. When I receieved mine, the first thing I noticed was how nicely it was packaged.
I'm sure that when the vft was shipped, it was vibrant!!!
But when I received it, most of the leaves and traps were turning black, and one trap (with half of its leaf) was broken off!!!

So the point that I'm trying to make here is that I don't want this poll to reflect badly on Exotic Gardens, because the Post Office does absolutley NO justice whatsoever when the CP's are in transit!!!
I've seen postal workers in action, and BELIEVE ME no matter how fragile the package might be, they treat them like footballs!!!
I do give the Postal Workers credit, however, in a prompt delivery.
I think that on my next order, I may use FED EX to see if there would be any noticable differences.

I bought my VFT's from various nursery's.  Most of them were in decent shape when I got them, except of course they were pretty small.  I have 6 regular VFT's, 2 dentes, and I ordered a pitcher plant from petflytrap.com about a week ago and it is still not here, I am getting kind of worried.  I find that the regular's grow a lot faster and bigger than the dentes.  This may just be common knowledge to some of you, but I am still learning
smile.gif

dfalk, e-mail phil if you have concerns over the order, I know they had some server problems a while back, and I gurantee, he will want to talk to you and confirm your order is being processed.

For those of you in Canada, it takes longer for packages to get to you, so your plants will probably look a little worse for wear...

and the us postal service is doing a terrible job these days, charging more, doing less... I know phil and Jeff would never send a plant out in poor condition, so it's got to be the schmo's at the post office.

where can I get Phil's E-mail address?

Hi Dfalkanger

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

Phil's email is pcrane@petflytrap.com. And as far as condition goes...Phil and Jeff never ship out bad plants. They take great pride in what they grow and they are experts at packing plants. How long the shipping takes and how its handled in the mail is beyond their control. There is only so much banging around a plant can take in the mail no matter how well its packed.

And as far as how long it takes...it depends on things like how you pay (check or credit card) and how heavy their volume is at the time. If orders are placed by mail they have to receive the order and if checks are involved they have to clear the bank which takes a while. I've always gotten my plants very quickly and they have arrived in great shape.

Also bear in mind that blackening traps or petioles is part of the natural life of a VFT and may not have anything to do with shipping at all. Older traps and petioles WILL die off eventually.

Hope everyone enjoys their new traps.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Blaaah....its late....that was supposed to be new plants, not traps!

confused.gif

s

If someone has a problem with the plants that we provide:

I would love to receive an email so that we can figure out what the problem is.

What I don't like to see is when someone has a problem, doesn't contact myself or any of the other PFT staff and says that they have had a bad experience.

That really doesn't solve a problem and only tells half of the story.

If I don't know there is a problem, I can't fix it.

We always make ourselves available to answer questions, and do whatever we can to make things right.

In the future, if someone has a problem with our plants/customer service, PLEASE contact me b4 you post something that could be potentially damaging such as this.

If you are wanting to know where your plant is...

Write us:

Jeff jaie@Petflytrap.com
Phil pcrane@petflytrap.com

Info

cpinfo@petflytrap.com

Absolutely! Contact us immediately if you have a problem. We're here M-F 10am to 5pm or there abouts. We'll gladly replace damaged products and will take care of our customers.

But first, if you've ordered.. it takes us during the summer about a week to fulfill your order and have it shipped. We're EXTREMELY busy. Keep in mind that we're small... we ship literally THOUSANDS of plants a month ... and only have a few people doing it. Not to mention we're still getting settled into our new location and summer is busy as it is.

So, if you've ordered... give us about a week (working days) to send you your confirmation that your plant has shipped.

Our biggest shipping days are mondays and tuesdays... so if your order is a week old, then you should receive notification within the next 48 hours.

Now..

If your stuff is damaged... or looks funky. Call us. We MUST know immediately, as we can only guarantee the plants a short while after they arrive... which I'm sure most users will understand.

So, enough irritation. I'm going to bed.

Oh wait.. before I do that.. I do have to say, that on occasion we get someone who actually takes the time to tell us that their plants arrived well :

------------------------------------------------------

To: Phillip Crane
Subject: Re: Double green dragon...

No, it's not a problem. I actually plan on ordering more from you VERY soon. The plant I received was in the BEST shape of any I had ordered from anyone else....

Thanx again,

C.

I was not trying to cause any harm in my post, I was just worried about my plant, I know it is not your guys fault. It is probably the postal service as always, ah well what can ya do! I am sure it will arrive soon. Thanks everyone

Thank you everyone for your concern about my pitcher plant. I recieved it in the mail today! It is in great shape, I couldn't have asked for a better looking plant, none of the pitchers were broken off or anything, I love it!
biggrin.gif

i didnt know phil and jeff ship plants outsie of the us i heard no

i always get healthy plants from pft they look good too, NO COMPLAINTS HERE !
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

hi BigBaldBob,

We *RARELY* do ship outside of the USA. We may start a bit more since we're considering using UPS.. but with the postal service, we never have good luck
sad.gif

Back