What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, i want to get started

I live in Western New York state. It has hot summers and cold winters. I want to keep the flytrap indoors year round but in the window sill to get sun.

Should i wait til spring to plant VFTs? or would it be fine to plant them now?

read m care sheet , it should help . if you think your gonna plant you vft outside in the ground then good luck growing because venus flytraps are not like regular plants . they also need dormancy .

no, i want to plant it in a pot and keep the pot indoors

When did you get your plant? Is it a bulb, seeds or currently growing?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jhaluska @ Sep. 14 2003,11:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When did you get your plant?  Is it a bulb, seeds or currently growing?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I havent gotten it yet. i plan on buying seeds but i was just asking if they would even grow if planted now?

No, don't start yet if you plan of growing from seeds. They will germinate and go dormant..then probably die.

I agree, unless you plan on getting some grow lights, the conditions aren't the best for seeds. Or worse yet, they won't sprout till spring anyways.

Yes you can sow VFT seeds now if you want to. The window will probably not provide enough light. You will have to supplament it with some artificial light. For more info on the particulars of sowing VFT seeds check out the ICPS seed germination guide here: ICPS guide

Good luck
Steve

Back