What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperature Worries

E

elz17

ive just bought some venus flytrap after many years of admiration for the plant. but im concerned about the climate of brisbane (australia), where i live. its 30-40 degrees celcius (87- 100 F for those who use it) in summer. are there any precautions i should take when growing my plants?

Hi Elz17

Welcome to the forums! Just a note...it would be better to post your question under the Flytrap forum. I can't move your post over there but maybe RAM can. There are other Australians on the boards who can probably help you out. :)

Suzanne

The temp in summer shoudn't worry the VFT too much. Just don't place in direct sun. Brisbane humidity should be excellent for the VFT. Morning sun better as cooler. During domancy period (June, July, August) you may need to do the fridge method instead of the natural method as the temp in Brisbane might not get low enuff. Look on the VFT forum as there is a link to the current temp of the place in the US and use that as a guide.

Wilmington (VFT country) routinely gets to 33 / 34C in summer. I would say up to about 38 was the max, but I don't think it would appreciate that kind of heat day in day out. I would gradually introduce into the sun and heat in summer and watch it carefully - any scorching and you'll have to rethink.
If you bought your plants from somewhere like Triffid Park, try e-mailing them - they'll know your climate better than anyone.

Back