What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Requirements?

I got a grow light at the store today and a light that clips onto the side of my terrarium (I have my plant in the origional pot sitting in a small pie tin with about 1/2inch water at the bottom). It says 8 hours of direct sunlight, but I have heard that it needs 12-16 hours if you are not using natural sunlight. And how close can I have the light to the plant, or rather how close SHOULD I have the light to the plant?? Whats best for these guys? I want mine to live a long time!!
smile.gif
Thanks guys!

woohoo lighting questions!

Can you be more specific as to type of light bulb and wattage?

TOny

Ooooh, I had the same type question around here somewhere clueless. Have a look under General Questions.

But just since i have some time, artificial light is MUCH differant from sunlight...obviously. Your plant will require a good 12-14 hours under artificial light to survive. As for height it depends on your bulb...
 -   Are you using long thin round type jiggys (bah i forgot their name) or does your light look like a normal light bulb?
...i got a blub, and it gets bloody hot and emmitts alot of heat, i placed a fan on it and it seems to keep it under control, just make sure the HEAT isn't getting to your plant. Warmth is ok, but take under consideration that your plant will be there for 14 hours a day and you dont want to burn it or it will easily die.

Just to add to that, if you use a fan don't allow it to blow onto the plant or some funny things might happen.

Mix

It looks like a regular lightbulb, but its plastic and doesn't get very hot at all...its been on for a good 10 hours already today and I can still barely feel warmth, and then only when I lay my fingers directly on the blub. As to the wattage, I'm not sure, but its low. It also said on the box that it had the full color spectrum in the light.

I have never heard of a plastic light bulb.
is that even possible?
well if its of a low wattage then it probly won't be enough.
I have my CP's growing under 4 power compact bulbs and they seem to be growing quite well.
when you look at the bulb does it look brihght?

a plastic bulb? weird...

Were gonna need wattage and type to give you any real info... but I suspect as was said, to be plastic it would have to be low wattage, and that means it probably isn't bright enough...

Just to give you an idea, I have 4 48" tubes over my terrarium, and I still want MORE! Apparently NASA has had a recent break through where they can emit light as powerfull (at close range) as the sun, for hydroponic growing on the mars missions, but we don't have that type of technology...

But I can make you a good gurantee, unless it's a high pressure sodium bulb, it probably aint enough... one never is.

I am guessing that it is probably a low wattage fluorescent tube inside a plastic casing. That would explain the temperature... any other light source I can think of for growing plants runs pretty hot. Brand name or anything like that???

Tony

LoL must not be plastic...but feels a little like it. Its a 17 watt Ott-Lite, and I have it about 3-5 inches away from the plant right now. I have it on about 14-15 hours of the day. Does that sound ok???

Not sure what Ott-Lite is...There are 17watt power compact fluorescent bulbs that are enclosed in a plastic case. They can be globe shaped about 6.5 inches i diameter or bullet shaped and have a normal medium sized screw in base. In either case.. they produce as much light as a 60 watt incandescent light, or about as much light as half a 24" fluorescent tube. It will be ok to use but in the long run I don't think it will be nearly enough if this is the only light the plant gets. You would probably need several of these.

You would be a whole lot better off getting a couple 4' 2 tube fixtures and hanging them next to each other.
Tony

I have one of those 17 watts ott-lites too for my vtfs it works pretty good, so far no complaints. It does say on the box that it is a full spectrum. I have been told that this isn't enough light though so I put some foil around my teranium. One way or the other it is deffinately better than those crappy other blue lightbulbs that are supposedly made for plants. And my plants seem to be loving it the red dragons are becomming redder and I take that as a good sign. Seeings how this is my 3rd lightbulb I have tried and the best so far I am going to leave it for now until I can get the "perfect" lighting set up.

By the way I have my plants in a 5 gallon tank if yours is bigger you more than likely do need more lighting

Back