What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

Since I live in a condominium high rise in Downtown Baltimore, the only option I have is to place my vft's in the refridgerator.
Any suggestions as to how to wrap them?
What I thought about doing is placing each individually potted vft in their own paper lunch bags.
Is this a good idea, or should I use plastic?
wow.gif

The biggest problem with paper is that it won't keep the plants from drying out.  If you refridgerator is like mine, stuff that's not used very often gets pushed to the back and forgotten.  If they are forgotten long enough, they'll dry out and die.  It's best to use something like ziplock bags.  You will still need to check them every couple of weeks for mold, but you won't have to worry about finding some dessicated CP's if you forget to check for a month or so.

Great Idea BCPkid!!
smile.gif

I was thinking that the paper would allow for the moisture to escape.

At least the plastic will help keep it moist. That way, you aren't checking it every day
smile.gif

Also, if you place your plant in the fridge, try to keep it upfront and not in the back. The back seems to be a little coler than the front
wink.gif

JAIE,

Is the warmest place in the refridgerator on the door shelves?
The temp. in my refridgerator is about 40<sup>o</sup> F.

One more thing.........

I have a refridgerator/freezer thermometer, and took a reading in the back, and then the next day in the front, but could not tell any difference in the dial on the thermometer.
I guess if I had a digital thermometer, it would register some difference maybe?<sup>
tounge.gif
</sup>
tounge.gif
<sup>
tounge.gif
</sup>

I've been told that the shelfs on the door of the 'fridge are warmer because it has thinner insulation and it's hanging out in the open when ever the door is open. I don't know if this is true with the newer refrigerators or not. Old refrigerators depended on a latch to hold the door shut tight enough to form a seal. As the 'fridge got older the gasket (rubber seal) got stiffer and the latch got looser so that a tight seal wasn't made and warm air could leak in around it. Most new refrigerators use a magnetic, soft plastic seal to hold the cold air in and keep the door shut. I think, also, that big improvements have been made in insulating materials used in refridgerators, so there's not as big a difference in temp between the front and back of newer 'fridges as there is in older 'fridges.

All I did was stick my plant in there and put a small amount of water in the tray. Around once a week i would put a small amount of water in the tray again. This kept the soil just damp. I didn't have any problems with mold for the two months it was in there.

BTW, mine is around 33.5ºF.

WOW!!!
I thought that 33.5<sup>o</sup> would be too cold for the vft. So I guess that I should have no worries then with a temperature of 40<sup>o</sup> .

Back