What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just interested

I was just interested if anyone knows the average growth rate of a flytrap? Like how many leaves should it produce in one week? Mine seems to be having trouble growing fast,i mean i have had flytraps that grow much faster than the one i have now,which produces an average of one leaf per 2 weeks,although it is growing from 2 different points,so it produces 2 leaves in 2 weeks. Although it is starting to produce smaller traps from the side,evidence of further natural rhyzome multiplying...one of the little plants growing out of the side hasn't produced any new leaves for a while and looks like it may die but it is producing one new little baby plant from the other side so i guess i will just stop worrying.

The growth rate for VFTs varies a lot depending on the variety and growing conditions. Yours sounds like it is happy with its conditions so I would run with it.
smile.gif

We just got a VFT. We are wondering if distilled water is good enough to feed it. We don't have any flies.

Thank You
Heather & Michelle
7th graders at LVNS(science project )

Mondo - I don't know how many leaves per week as it varies but you should be able to tell if it's growing slowly. Where do you keep it? How long has it been living in it's peat? Sometimes they tend to go a bit strange and grow lots of tiny traps or leaves with no real traps at all.

Cordell - Yes, use distilled water, never tap water. Visit www.sarracenia.com/faq too and no you don't have to feed it any flies at all if you don't want. It will grow fine without any food.

that is right... distilled water good enough? It's the BEST!

and don't worry about feeding it... if it is summer, or when it gets to be summer, something will find its way to your flytrap!

My little baby trap got three flies today. No wonder it's growing pretty fast. On mine I get about 1 new trap open up a week. It's only 5 cm in diameter. The other trap is looking sick again but it still has those new traps coming so it is hanging in there. As the plant still has green on it I guess it's alive. BTW what sort of fungicide you you guys use? Do you use it full strength or dilute it?

Wado,

Never dilute fungicide, as you could be inadvertantly creating a more resillient strain of fungus... that would be bad.

The fungicide I personally use, is the Clearys3336 offered here on the site... (under accessories) but I have not had cause to use it on anything but plants I was putting into dormancy. It is very strong, industrial grade, and will kill any fungus you might be having a problem with. (And it stinks to high heaven... but all fungicides do)

ANy how, how isw your plant still looking sick? It is quite possible that it is still adjusting to it's new home... give it time... The old tissue on it may not be hardened to the new environment, or it could be fine, but the damage already done, it could be shock, it could be that today is an odd numbered day of the year... as long as new tissue is growing, then your doing good...

Question though... is the new tissue equal or close to the size of the old stuff? meaning, it's not producing radically different sized traps right?

If your plant has long leaves with large traps, and is not producing a tiny rosette of leaves with very tiny traps, then suprise, your actually dealing with a new plant!

In which case, I personally would just leave it until it is old enough to carefully remove the husk of the parent.

Your growing on a window sill now right? if so.. I doubt your humidity is high enough, and the air stagnant enough for fungus to set in... but if you kept your water to high in the tray, you could have rotten roots in the one... just a thought... don't mean to alarm you!

At the moment it doesn't have any traps. It slow growing with the new traps coming through. They appear to be small. The pot does appear to be water logged as but this is probally due to giving the plant a flush with distilled water after incorrectly using spring water.

In answer to your question the traps coming through do appear to be smaller than the orignal one that were on it.

I think it just needs time, I bought it, them took it to work, which got it sick in the first place, then I brought it home to recover.

Wado, if the pot is water logged, make sure it is not in a suacer with water, and let it dry out a little, till the soil is damp to the touch.

Flytraps can take periods of being saturated, but extended saturation drives oxygen out of the soil, causes an anoxic situation and to plants roots will rot... then you won't have a plant at all!
sad.gif

Just remember that it takes a bit out of the plant digesting bugs...

Hi Wado

Also, the traps don't last forever. They will blacken and die off naturally any way. So if you see a trap die, don't panic and think its something wrong with it just because of that. You can trim off the blackened traps. The plant will produce new leaves and traps. Mine went thru a slow-growth period as well but they perked up.

Keep hanging around and asking questions and your plant should be fine. :)

Suzanne

Back