What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Problems............

I have had my Vft for about a year. Until 1 week ago (when it came out of dormancy) i was using tap water to water it. The plant was very healthy, i could see no problems with it.Now i am boiling the tap water, then filtering it in a ordinary water filter. Is this water classified as Distilled
confused.gif
Since changing water, and flushing the pot out, it seems to be growing at a tremendous rate, so i figure this water is ok ?

Help me please.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Not more water boilers. Boiling and filtering as you described is not distillation. The way your doing will kill yuor plant. You can buy distilled water in the stores for about &#361 a gallon. You this instead and one more thing

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

Since you have been using tap water for so long I would really consider repotting, or at least flushing out the minerals from the soil with distilled water.
Repot in either 100% sphagnum peat moss or 2:1 peat / sharp sand.

Is Irish moss peat ok to use for the potting mix ? Or does it have to be Sphagnum moss peat ? i'm confused about that. I have seen just 'moss peat' at www.homebase.co.uk, but not sure what to buy........... I recently found a bag of sharp sand in my garage, so i'm ok for that.  So 2 parts irish moss peat moss to 1 part sharp sand ?. Do i remove all the current soil mix from the plant so that the roots and bulb is exposed and then add to the new mix, or leave some earth around the root system and place in the new mix ??

(Edited by dave2150 at 11:34 am on April 14, 2002)

(Edited by dave2150 at 11:41 am on April 14, 2002)

Yep, Irish peat is fine.
Put the peat in a bucket and add rain/distilled water so that it's soaking wet.
Wash the sand separately and then add it to the peat - 2 parts peat to one part sand, yes.
Take the plant out of its pot with a spoon and try to get as much peat off as possible, being careful not to damage the roots. Throw away the old stuff in the pot, add your new stuff and put the VFT in. You might consider using a larger pot (say 3") if it's in a tiny one at the moment.
And never use tap water again!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thanks for the help. I have my Vft in a 4" pot. It has some space, but has divided into a new plant this spring. I want it to grow large, so should i move them into a larger pot ? There is about 2cm of bare soil around them.

Back