What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Frozen In Time

My two pots of flytraps had a great growth spurt this spring, then one of them started putting up a flower stalk, which I promptly cut off.  Since about that time (a few weeks ago) the plants in both pots started slowing down, and now seem to be frozen in time.  They look fine, just never changing much.  Collectively they had a few meals, so maybe they are just not hungry for the time being.  Are they trying to go dormant already?  It is the northern hemisphere and it's not even summer yet?

Is this standard behavior?

Hey jaje61,

I had this problem a few months ago when mine slowed down and I cut off its stalk. How has the weather been? We went through a cold snap here in spring, so my VFT thought it was time to go dormant.

I also hadn't put my VFT in dormancy for years (just found out about it when I joined the forums) so my plant just naturally pooped out. When was the last time it was in dormancy? If it hasn't been, I'd advise to put it in the fridge and force it to do so. Any more experienced VFT owners have advice or agree with this?
sad.gif

Hi Jaje61,
This does happen quite a lot, but I would be patient and before you know it, the plant will send up new growth. I would carry on giving it plenty of light, warmth and humidity and of course the normal watering....When the plant realizes there is nothing to be gained from flowering due to the pruning, then leaf production recommences...

Thanks guys for the reassurance.  I am treating them normally and hopefully they will be all right.  We also had a cold snap for a few days now that you mention it, so maybe that, combined with trying to flower, had something to do with it.  They did have their dormancy this past winter, and also last year (or the year before?) I accidentally let one flower, and the whole bunch slowed down for about a year, making no traps, just broad leaves.

Thanks guys for the reassurance.  I am treating them normally and hopefully they will be all right.  We also had a cold snap for a few days now that you mention it, so maybe that, combined with trying to flower, had something to do with it.  They did have their dormancy this past winter, and also last year (or the year before?) I accidentally let one flower, and the whole bunch slowed down for about a year, making no traps, just broad leaves.

Just an update to let y'all know that my VFTs have started growing again and new traps have formed and they have caught some bugs on their own to boot! It just took some time.

WOOHOOO!!

John

I noticed my flytrap slow down quite a lot after catching a bug-it seems everytime it catches a bug it slows down for about three weeks and then starts growing really vigorously...this was in summer too,the beginning of this year.

Back