What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think?

• Thread starter jacko
  • Start date
Hi. What do you all think of my trap? It was brought as a small plug, 15 months ago. I repotted it recently. Its in a five inch wide pot, longest trap stalk 7 inchs, average 5inchs . I can post more if anyones interested.

Hows does it look? All comments welcome
t1.jpg

Looking good! It might need a little more light, it should have at least a hint of red inside the traps. It should also start making the smaller, winter rossette soon. So, don't think things are going haywire when trapsizes start to decrease.

Overall: A very healthy VFT

SF
biggrin.gif

Thats what I was just about to say, it does need more light. Where are you growing it?

Its growing on an east facing window sill, on the ground floor.

There must be about an hours sun in the morning, and then it just gets ambient light. The window is quite large though . . .Btw, Im near Brighton, England. Its the south coast.

I get RO water from a friend at a uni lab, and use that as I've no means of collecting a regular supply of rain water.

The plant is quite adept at catching spiders, midge's and the occasional blue bottle fly (one can be seen in the picture, its remains left stuck to the open trap, located at the bottom left hand side of the pic)

I also have another VFT (brought it at the same time), however when they flowered last year, many small traps started growing and it also divided quite alot. It looks quite different (more compact) and, judging by the remains in the traps, catches mostly mosquitos and midges.

I'm aware of the low - light problems, and people suggestions have me thinking. Flurocent lights are good for VFT's, high blue - light wavelength. (but I will not put a tube in the window)

What about the 'Energy Saving' flurocent type lights ? The ones that screw into normal light fittings?

My desk is infront of the window sill the traps live on, and I could easily put one of those energy saving bulbs in my desk lamp, and add a timer to match daytime? (It illuminates them anyway when its on . . .)

I guess it would be beneficial if they produce light in the desirable wavelengths ? (blue) This would only as a suplement to the natural light levels.

Anybody try this? Any thoughts?

Nice to meet you all,
Jacko

Hi Jacko

Welcome to the forums!
biggrin.gif

As people have mentioned, your plant could use a little more light. (The long rather droopy leaves usually mean the plant is reaching for more light). They prefer many hours of full sun (5-8...the more the better). I know not everybody can keep their plants outdoors in the sun all the time. You can supplement it with indoor lighting. A fluorescent tube would be good. Don't use an incandescent bulb...they produce too much heat that would fry your plant. You can get a small (24") shop light at most hardware stores. Most take 2 tubes. One cool white and one Gro-Lux or Sunstick would be great, but if you can't get those, the cool whites will do. The timer is a good idea...you can set it for about 14 hrs and not have to worry about cutting it on and off. Just make sure the light is pretty close to your plant.

The VFTs are now heading closer to dormancy time so I don't know how much it would help your plant now, but maybe over the winter you can work on setting up some supplemental lighting for the spring. You'd probably see a big improvement in your plant.

Other than that, it looks great.
smile.gif
Hope you stick around and have some fun.

Suzanne

The screw in energy saver compact fluorescent bulbs are also fine.  Try and find a cool white or daylight.  The brighter the better for a D. muscipula!

T

Back