What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FISH BOWL W/ LG. OPEN MOUTH

Hi guys,

I planted some bare root VFT'S (4) in a large mouth 'fish bowl' type terrarium leaving the top open, of course. 50/50 Canad.sphagnum/perlite mix approx. 5" deep.

I just want to mention to all that is interested that I'm surprised I don't see more clear glass open Brandy or
'Fish Bowl' type habitats for VFT'S.
I figure if it is at least 4" deep with large mouth ( to retreive for dormancy) then it has alot to offer.

a) Keeps humidity perfect without the unsightly dish underneath that always gets dirty.

b) Although requires careful monitoring of watering, needs watered less because of water retention characteristic of the semi-closed environment.

c) Pleasing to the eye, and helps prevent curious fingers, etc.

The only problem I could see would be that this would definately be an indoor jobber, as the glass would get hot outdoors.

I guess maybe I'm just looking for confirmation that I did the right thing. I couldn't find much info. on the search feature on this subject, so thought I would post it here to see if I'm alone on this.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I have african violets growing in very similar conditions, and plants are much more suited to the "fish death bowls" than actual fish are (stopping before I get off on a rant about fish abuse
smile.gif
).

If you check out the terraiums offered for sale on this site they are pretty much what you described.

I have been thinking of something similar as a more permant home for my VFTs. Let me know how it works.

Mae

I too have used a fish bowl for my vft. I've only come up with one problem, was wondering if you've found the same. I've but some leaf cuttings into their own seperate fish bowl, 2 of them. They're already black and crinkled up but I've noticed a light white fuzz growing in the soil, looks like mold. I've kept in uncovered though, so can't see why it would start growing there. (Maybe too much water?) has this happened with yours?
confused.gif

Thats probubly the VFT symbiotic mold.  When a leaf dies it uses the nutrients to expand it'self.  I don't believe the exact relationship has been studied, but I'd guess it helps protect the plants root system in return for the leaves.  Unless it turns into hair(a thicker more evil mold) don't worry about it, I freaked too when I first saw it, lol

Edit: Oh and don't give up on the leaves, their might be baby root systems started.

Mold is associated with the breakdown of dead organic material.  That is why dead leaves are removed from VFTs.  They encourages the growth of mold which releases nutrients from the leaf back into the soil.  Over time they build up and kill the VFT.  Not to mention mold growth is associated with unclean conditions and detracts from the looks of the plant and/or terrarium.

Thanks. It is hard not to just pitch the black, decayed leaves out. Patience patience I suppose

Back