What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you about dead traps?

• Thread starter shadowknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytrap vft
S

shadowknight

I just got my VFT last Saturday. It arrived with one/two dead traps. I have gone to many sites on what to do with these traps, but I'm confused. If anybody at all could give me some tips, I'd be more than grateful!!!!

PS: It's a common green flytrap, in case it matters...

Thanks!!!
smile.gif

The traps, like any leaf on any plant, will die as they get older. Often shipping and the like will cause some stress that will cause this same thing. as long as the center of the plant is green then everything will be fine. Just pot it up in peat:sand and keep it moist and in good light and in no time it will start to grow new traps for you
smile.gif

What I meant to say was, do I have to actually cut off the dead trap, or do I just leave it alone. And if I have to cut it off, how do I do it exactly? That's a little more specific! Sorry!

I don't cut off the dead traps but I grow mine outside where there is good ventilation. If there is any chance of fungus I would recommend cutting off the dead stuff. Just use a fine pair of scissors and cut off anything that is brown/black
smile.gif

Oh, okay! Thanks man!

Not a problem
smile.gif

Oh, I almost forgot. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
smile.gif

Man, I just remembered something else!!!!
My plant is way too small to actually tell if it's got anything left that is dead. Also, I think I moved the roots up a bit when I pulled it up a bit to make sure I didn't miss anything (which still doesn't work, because the black stuff looks just like the peat it came in
tounge.gif
) What should I do know???

Do you think I'm worrying too much???

You are probably okay. The bases of the old leaves tend to wrap the bulb of a VFT kinda like an onion, so just because it is dark on the outside it should still be live on the inside. The only way to be sure would be to strip the bulb but that can be really stressful on the plant and I do not recommend it. Just keep it under the right conditions and everything should work out. If, in a month you do not see any sign of life then it might be time to worry.

I cut them when they are completely dead. I use to cut them when the trap died but was told to wait. See...Learn something new everday and forget something old everyday. Your brain can only handle so much.
wink.gif

Travis

Back