What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traps end?

• Thread starter nightbreed
  • Start date
My vfts has caught several flys while I had it outdoors. Most of the traps reopened after a week or two with only the fly's husk. I thought the trap die when it caught something. Is this not true?

No, it doesn't die immediately. Here's the full process: the trap catches a bug. It digests the bug that it caught. It(hopefully)reopens. After reopening, the trap is(hopefully)still healthy. After several catches, the trap wares out. The first sign of a worn out trap is that the lips of the trap will curl outwards, like this:
dmusc41.jpg

This is completely normal. After the trap starts showing signs of waring out, it will no longer close. After a little while, the trap will blacken and die. After it dies, you should snip off <span style='color:red'>only</span> the completely black part of the leaf/trap. If you cut off <span style='color:red'>any</span> green part at all, the plant will lose valuable energy.

Good luck and I hope this helps!
                                        FTG

Back