What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is this proper care

ok i got my vft in fish bowl. it is about a 2 gallon size fish bowl, with a wide mouth. i keep about an inch of distilled water in there at all times. i put it on my deck in the morning and bring it in when the sun goes down. is that ok care for the my vft? its got red traps.

o yea one more?

black spots are forming one this one trap, where it is touching the soil. its the peteleo thats got a black spot where it is touching . why?

I found that one of my trap was lying sideways (not completely upright) on the moist soil and after a couple of weeks it went black where it was touching the ground, I think it is too moist for the traps if they are in permenant contact with the moist soil.

Dionaea prefer a mix that drains well, the roots may rot if left in standing in stagnant water. I find that a lighter mix allows water to be poured through the medium, oxygenating the mix and flushing out accumulated products of decomposition. They do like a lot of water, just not stagnant water.

what type of lighter mix do you suggest?

Sphagnum and Perlite/Pumice? Orchid bark on the bottom I would assume...

50/50 peat and sand. I heard peat moss is more acidic than plain sphagnum, and more acid is supposed to help with red coloration. Sand is more fine than perlite and pumice so it's easier for the roots to grow. I don't think orchid bark at the bottom is a good idea if you plan on tray method, bark won't absorb much water. Long-fibered sphagnum is better to help the medium from escaping through the bottom because it absorbs a lot of water.

Joe

Back