What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything you can/can't feed you VFT

Just wondering if anyone would care to share things they have successfully fed there VFT's. Some things I am curious of is

Earthworms
fireflys
spiders
Lady Bugs/Asian Beetles (plenty of Asian Beetles around here)

All I can currently thing of. I allready fed it part of a earthworm (small chunk so the trap could close around it.) Is there any type of people food that they can benefit from?

Veggita,
I fed my VFT a part of an earthworm and it is doing fine. Also, my VFT ate a firefly and is doing just fine, too. LOL.
I've heard the only type of spider you should feed a VFT is a daddy long-legs. Wolf spiders are considered bad for a VFT, but I have never tried. Look around the forums and most people will say not to feed a VFT a ladybug or any other hard shelled bugs to a VFT; it can kill it. Lady bugs are good to get rid of aphids(because they eat them), but make sure they don't get caught! You shouldn't feed a VFT any human food, unless you eat insects. Lol.

Hope I helped,
Kevin

im bad at explaining myself, does anyone know those potato bugs that roll into a ball when u touch em? well theres ones that look like them (grey scaley) but they are thinner and they dont rolll into balls, and you see them inbetween crevieces and udner rocks and they love wet areas, and dark areas, i fed my vft's this before i steamed them, and if they were small enough ofr the whole trap to close around them they were fine, but if part of it stuck out, it begins rotting, and then ur vft rots too, so remember CUT THEM INTO LITTE PIECES AHAHAHAHA
tounge.gif

Mine especially like EARWIGS!!! Infact, one of my VFTs, my Green Dragon, is digesting one right now and is doing great.
smile.gif

So far my VFTs have eaten flys(duhh
tounge.gif
), earwigs, spiders (all kinds), small wasps
wow.gif
, small beetles, and anything else that wanders into the trap and triggers it with no ill effects to the plant.

Any type of orb weaving spider (well, not the spikey kind) are good kuz they have really big abdomens, and thats FULL of bug nutrition.

Also, solitary bees work good.

Both the traps I fed the earthworm chunk too are black now. I made sure there wasn't none sticking out (I cut the earthworm into small chunks). Guess I wont' do that again.

I found a couple of flys around the house. I sprayed them with water (which slows them) then smacked it really hard and then fed it to a trap. It was stil alive just broken limbs hehe

Back