What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why dont vft's like florida?

Could someone please please tell me why vfts cant survive in Florida? I did everything they needed...distilled and rain water, sunlight...etc. and they just died away. when i put them in the air conditioner they didnt like that so i put them outside in half sun/half shade and they still didnt respond good. well if you could help me...tha'd be great.
wink.gif
thankyou

*Bubblegirl*

I grow them here in the central Oregon high desert where growing conditions are only marginally better than the light side of the moon.Mine do well outside in watertrays, in direct full sun...with relative humidity around 20-25 % and even lower.

You should have a cake walk growing them in Florida.

Perhaps the plants you got were from poor stock.

Try getting some from a reputable supplier(like Exoctic Gardens) and follow all of the culture tips found on this board-religiously.

You may encounter some temporary setbacks until you gain experience with VFTs but you should certainly be able not only to grow them  in Florida but indeed have them thrive there.

LUCK!
wavey.gif

This is only a guess at waht is wrong. I can't be sure what you're problem is until I know all your growing conditions.

I think you're changing their envoirment too much. First they don't need any A/C. They love the heat and Fl. should be perfect for them. I think that they may not be use to the sun and you're putting them in the strong Fl. sun too quick. Try to adjust them very slow to the sun. An hour a day and increase 30 mins to an hour each day. If you're in south Fl I would do it 30 mins a day and an hour if you're in northern Fl. Also if they are in alot of heat and sunlight they need plenty of water and humidity. Your humidity should be fine in Fl just make sure that they don't dry out between waterings. You should use the tray method to insure that it has enough water all the time. In that much sunlight and heat, It'll die quick with no water.

vft's , actually live in northen florida so it is impossible for vfts to hate it . i live in southern california and who thought that you can grow cp's outdoors under these conditions but i succesfully grow them outside . i agree with ozzy .

Thankyou guys for all the help...it really helped. so keep the tray moist. i never though about that Seminole. what is exoctic gardens anyway? well thankyou guys
*Bubblegirl*

uhhhh, exotic gardens is the place that host this place....*looks at bubblegirl funny* look at the bar on the top of your screen and go to buy a plant

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bubblegirl @ July 06 2003,12:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what is exoctic gardens anyway?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Don't know what is in your drink, but could I have some please??  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif
(I'm teasing you
wink.gif
)

When I joined the forums way long time ago, people were referring to Exotic Gardens as Pet Flytrap.   It has only been in the past 8 months or so that people have been referring to them as Exotic Gardens.  Bubblegirl missed this change while she was gone.  I say gone because she has just recently started posting again.  Which reminds me:  Welcome Back Bubblegirl
biggrin.gif
!

Lol guys it was just a joke. lol
tounge.gif

alien.gif

Thankyou very much for the welcome. yes i havent posted in awhile...several months actually. but i was just kidding around :). sry.
*Bubblegirl

Back