What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My flytrap needs help

• Thread starter Sschnooker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytrap
S

Sschnooker

I just bought a venus flytrap and I've got some questions. Now, I do have the plant in a bowl of distilled water. But, it is getting droopy. I do have it in sun for about 3 hours out of the day because thats all the sun that we get. I dont know if its supposed to be droopy or standing upright. ALso, it doesnt do a very good job catching flies..is this normal?

Any advice would be helpful!!!

Thanks!!
alien.gif

Is the plant just in water, no soil or sphagnum? Yuo might want to get it into a soil mix if it is not.

Well..its in the pot and soil that it came with. Is that what you mean?

It also might be transplant shock if it has just been bought. It might just perk up in a few days to weeks (depending on how different its new conditions are than what it was used to.)

Good luck!

SF
smile.gif

Where did you get it?

Check out this link. It contains all you ever want to know about VFTs (and more&#33
wink.gif

SF

VFT page

Ok..thank you for your help!

I bought it from exotic gardens.

Hi

I am just moving this to the VFT forum where it might get some more replies.

*POOF!*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sschnooker @ Sep. 08 2003,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok..thank you for your help!

I bought it from exotic gardens.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
How long has it been since you received it? Sometimes after shipping vft's go into a tad of shock. It could take a few days, sometimes even a week or more (rarely more) for it to recover and adjust to the different climate. The older leaves aren't much to worry about. While they're still there, they'll do some photosynthesis, but not much else. Just watch the center of the plant for new traps forming. As long as they come up fine, nothing to worry about.
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ Sep. 08 2003,10
wow.gif
)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just watch the center of the plant for new traps forming.  As long as they come up fine, nothing to worry about.  <!--emo&
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Bear in mind that its time for dormancy. Do not panic if your VFT starts producing shorter fatter leaves and then does nothing for awhile. Check out the topic on dormancy at the top of the General Discussions page and you will probably find answers to any questions you have about dormancy. Also, read the FAQ pages that SnowyFalcon posted above. That is pretty much a bible for cultivating VFTs.

Good Luck
Steve

Hi all,
I just purchased a small VFT at our local plant nursery. I have it standing (pot, soil and plant) in a shallow dish of about 1" distilled water next to a North-East facing window. Gets light but not direct or very hot.
Now when it is time for the plant to go into dormancy what should I do with it? Not very cold in the winter in Southern California.

Thanks,
Arlie

Back